RP150 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP150

Purchased from: dv247.com

I use this through a Marshall MG10CD, and play a 1958 Epiphone Explorer, it sounds awesome! And I'm only through a 10 watt amp, I would say the tone kicks ass on a 30 watt or higher amp! It is not noisy at all, I previously owned a Zoom G2 and that thing used to buzz and reverb like hell, not the RP150 its silent (until you start playing!) If I was to rate the quality of the effects out of 10 they would definately get a nice big 9.5, it looses 0.5 because the presets really do suck, but once you hook it up to X-edit and start playing around with the EQ's, different amp models, stompboxes and effects you will be surprised what you can get. I have near perfect kirk hammet and james hetfield rhythm and solo patches, dimeba's scooped rhythm, Slipknot's very disgusting yet awesome distortion, and all the way up to nice cleans I.e. Red Hot Chili Peppers, Tool... So this baby has it all in terms of variety, you can use up to 11 effects on one patch! So it's very possible to create your own unique sound that maybe noone in the world has heard before!

I play every music known to man, if it has guitar work in it, I like it, but I love metal music, and it is a perfect companion for any bedroom rocker or small bands etc. I have been playing for 5 years have owned many effects units, but this is now my favourite, and if I ever buy another pedal it wont be another vendor, I think I will stick with DigiTech for a good few years to come and upgrade to the bigger units when I have the money. I don't hate one thing about it, I LOVE IT! I compared this to a Zoom G2.1u, the Zoom being more expensive, less effects, less patch banks, and I owned a Zoom G2 and I can definately say the effects on a Zoom G2 sound washed out compared to the RP150, so I went for the RP150! This is the ONLY let down though. USB CABLE! I don't see why they don't supply us with the USB cable it would only add an extra couple of pounds to the price, most other effects pedals that have recording functions come with them why not DigiTech! Ah well it's a very common USB cable to find, I found one in the back of my printer, most people should have one laying around somewhere, so because of this it has to loose 1 point and I'll rate it overall a nice big 9!

The unit is made of Solid Metal, the footswitches are heavy duty plastic and I don't think even a heavy bang on it by your foot would break it (although its not advisable to try it out! I certainly wont!) The knobs are rubber and the buttons plastic I would definately depend on it. Yes I would definately take this to a gig, and I am doing on the 5th of july, I wouldn't bother with a backup it looks like it can take some wear and tear, if it broke down during a gig that would just be plain bad luck and not DigiTech!

This was very easy to figure out, 4 knobs, and 5 buttons, then marked out with a grid above the knobs so that you know exactly which knob/button is going to go to what effects bank. Editing patches is very easy, similar to most other multi-FX pedals, you simply make your desired patch, press the store button once, move the footswitches up and down to scroll to the number of patch you want it to overwrite/store in. The manual is very easy to use, is made logically so you can get the basics learned first then learn about the more advanced stuff, i.e. using it for recording, editing patches on the PC. It came with firmware version 1.4, their website has all of the drivers and software available for download for free, so I just downloaded them and flashed my ME unit to v 1.6, it also gives you software like X-Edit (very good program indeed!), preset converter and you can use audacity, guitar tracks pro or similar programs to record your guitar.

chefkeith
    i play an acoustic electric and i love this box. i can make my acoustic sound like a screamin strat or as mellow as a martin 12 string. i can go from scream to smooth in one stomp. try that with a regular stompbox! i got mine at a pawnshop for less than the cost of a one trick stompbox. best money i ever spent, i use yhe drum machine to really enhance my open mike performances its a great machine at a really good price
    260bpm
    Funny how nobody commented on the looper, and very little was mentioned about the drum machine?? Also funny was " oh I plugged it into my 10 watt mg amp and I was not impressed. LOL To all the reviewers get a real amp first if you haven't by now.
    ohsnap0987
    That's interesting you said it was plastic. I got the same model and it's metal. Oh well' haha.
    riffmerchant
    At the end of the day, for all you who bash digital effects units, if your looking for raw/analogue sounding tones, why not keep your $100 and spend an extra $2300 and buy an Axe FX II unit..... point made. The pedal isn't 10/10 but it sure as hell makes jamming more fullfilling, than having to use the same old clean, crunch and gain crap from your amp which is usually muddy as hell.