RP155 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP155

Purchased from: Music Club

My amp is an Cube 80x, although I have used it with smaller Yamaha models, and with powerful Marshall's, particularly JCM900 (which I want to buy), and I'm not gonna lie: it is a very noisy thing, especially when using most of the effects it contains. The built-in noise gate fixes it, although there's always a hiss. The effects are great. When I started playing, I wanted to buy pedals separately, I got lots, but when it was time to gig, they were too much to carry, so I bought this by recommendation of a friend of other band. I have compared its models to the real pedals, and they sound exactly the same, even batter with the X-Edit. I can virtually get any sound I want, even model amps. I am a great fan of Tom Morello, and so this is a dream for me. The Whammy screams and bends perfectly, especially with the optional Expression Pedal. The only effect that doesn't sound very good without the expression is the Wah. You are supposed to set a range of the Wah pedal to work as an "Autowah", but even though you keep moving and moving the knobs, it doesn't say "Wah". So, if you want this, get an expression pedal or get the version (I don't know its name) which includes one.

I play everything, from classic rock to death metal. So, I use a wide variety of effects, from warm Overdrive to DJ sounds using phaser, flanger, etc, so this fits for me, and for every stile. The factory presets range from Blues to thrash, and if the sound you're looking for isn't in, you can create it. It is versatile. I've played for almost six years, and the first stompbox I got was a Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion. I'm obsessed with effects so I have also got a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, an Original Crybaby Wah-Wah, some Cool Cat pedals from Danelectro, a Whammy, etc... I use all of them in home and with my band, but when gigging, I take only my RP155. I only wish I had had enough money for buying the version that includes the expression pedal, or that someone had told me I needed it. I love everything about it. It has enough models as to satisfy every dirty player, and is good for beginners. I only hate the innacurate tuner and the unsounding Wah. If it was stolen, I would get angry and look for it, but if I didn't find it I would simply buy another, as it's cheap even for me. I compared it with my previous Boss ME-20 (which was stolen), and I think I can get greater effects from this one rather than the BOSS, due to the amp modeling and the inclusion of various real existing pedals from other brands (BOSS uses to simulate only pedals from his own brand). I wish it had the expression pedal, but I say it again: there's a version that includes it. Noting else. It fits perfectly my style, as I hope it does with you.

You can depend on it. With X-Edit software, you can store your presets in a PC so you never lose them. It is not as heavy as most stompboxes, but it is hard, although you have to take care of it 'cause if it falls, circuit damage may occur. In gigs, you can't reach your effects so easily, because it has got only two footswitches, and for example, if you are in preset 14 and want to reach 29, you have to press and wait until you reach it. My recomendation in this case is that you store your effects in the order that you are gonna use them live, as I do.

Well, it has got an easy to understand matrix, with LED's for each effect and has got only 4 buttons and four knobs, so it is easy to use, but probably you'll always have to carry the manual, for knowing each model of the different rows. Editing is easy, especially with the free X-Edit software, but you always have to carry the manual, which is very complete and easy to understand. The version of my RP155 is 1.1, free for all previous.