RP200 review by DigiTech

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
DigiTech: RP200

Purchased from: Second Hand store

I am using a generic Legend Telecaster Copy, which without effects tends to sound quite harsh and twangy. This effects processor greatly decreases this unpleasant harsh sound with it's customisable treble, bass and middle controls. The distortion modelling is quite good, with a range of amp models availabe, including the inspirational 'Stack' for those raging solos. Or 'Acoustic' for some light chord progression or fingerpicking. The chorus is quite good and the notes come out smooth. In the effects department there are a big range, including panner, tremelo, flanger, whammy, phaser, delay, rotary and vibrato. If you are looking for some bluesy Overdrive, it has some amp settings with a nice crunch, and the built in reverb gives it that warm feeling. The unit also minimizes feedback, but on the more hard distortion levels the feedback may become a bit overwhelming. The unit also comes with a built in pedal, which can be customized with 3 different wah settings, Jimmy Page like ya ya, or simply used as a volume control. And a built in drum Machine helps you practice your timing. All in all the sound is very bright and warm on clean channels, and gives you that rockstar feel with it's powerful solo capabilities.

I usually play a kind of bluesy overdriven rock. And this unit is quite good for that, it gave my rather cheap guitar a warm bluesy feel. This was my first multi-effects processor, and I would recommend it to other first timers lookig for an affordable and very customizable unit. I have been playing for Just under two years and this processor has helped me progress in my soloing capabilities with it's drum machine. Before this unit I owned a number of distortion pedals, and I found it was quite a nuisance buying batteries for them all. So when I got this processor I found all my pedals put into one lightweight package with a single power supply, it was like a dream come true. In this product I love the ability to customize my sound to suit me, I love the distortion and the effects. But I hate the rather harsh feedback on the heavy distortion and the rather harsh sounding Whammy effect. Which when being controlled by the pedal can sound horrible. My favourite feature would have to be the in built tuner, for when you are in the middle of a jam you don't want to have to unplug and plug into another electronic tuner. Overall this unit is very good for a guitarist looking for a huge range of effects at a rather small price.

I was mainly looking for a processor that I could carry around with me in the front of a gig bag, and with this unit I could. I recommend this to anyone who needs a compact unit with a great range of effects. Also it is quite durable and I feel I could drop it down the stairs without much of a drama.

The RP200 is a good cheap unit for players looking for a wide range of Digital effects. But, due to the large range of effects built in, Players like myself wit not much experience in digital effects can find the hundreds of customisations a little daunting.