RP200 review by DigiTech

• Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
DigiTech: RP200

I run a Gibson Sonex into a Fender Frontman 212R (very underrated amp, in my opinion). I put the RP200, as well as a DOD Stereo Chorus, in the effects loop. From there, I run it back to the Fender, as well as into a small Vox amp with an extention cabinet as a slave. One thing I learned very quickly, do NOT try to use amp modeling through the effects loop! This created a really loud microphonic squeal that about burst my eardrums! That being said, it seems to be very quiet, and using the noise gate eliminated any hum or hiss when I wasn't playing. The delay and reverbs are quite good, though I use the reverb on the amp since it's a real spring reverb and simply sounds better. The modulation and pitch-shifting effects work very well, and with the stereo chorus pedal, I can get some very interesting sounds. The Wah range is almost too wide for my taste, but I can work around that. Again, it does everything I need it to do.

I play blues, progressive rock, and punk/alternative, and all in all, this does what I need it to. Even with the reliability issues, in a studio setting, it's a good little unit. Live I'm not so sure I would trust it, but it would work for small gigs or situations where you know it wouldn't get knocked around. Don't let the cast aluminum housing fool you, this is a fragile unit. If it were lost or stolen, I would probably buy something else, which I plan to do anyways and retire this box to my pile of studio gear. Not a bad unit overall, but could have been made a lot better.

Here's my one issue with this unit. I have owned it for a few years, and it really started to show signs of wear after just a couple years. The AC input is starting to short a bit, the plugs are very loose, and the footswitches started doing nothing at one point. After taking the unit apart a few times and doing some work on it, I was able to rectify some of these issues, but it was still unexpected, and frankly rather annoying. I still have to pull it open now and then and "shim up" the rubber stoppers on the footswitches that actuate the microswitches. It seems that the circuit board has a tendency to weaken and flex over time. Some soldering and "modification" fixed most of these problems, but for gigging I definitely recommend a backup. If it breaks again, I may scrap it and buy something new.

All in all, I have always found this to be relatively easy to use. I use it for a lot of different things, such as a Compressor for vocals or bass, as a full amp modeler forvDI'ing my guitar for recording, or as a delay/wah through my amp with another chorus pedal, and it does very well for all of these. I do wish it had another couple of footswitches for switching the Wah or distortion on and off, or even a separate bypass switch, but at the price point, I'm not complaining. I'm not a fan of the preprogrammed presets, but editing the patches isn't that big a deal overall. It does everything I need it to do.

mbself73
    Not a great pedal as an all in one. But, I use it only for time based effects and EQ. If all you use it for is reverbs, delays etc it works fine for me. So, with probably 100 (or is it 200? hence the name) I can set up plenty of differing delay/reverb/tremolo/phaser/chorus profiles to fit whatever song I am playing. No fancy dotted 8th note patch or tap tempo, just have to do the math and play at the correct speed. I have a bypass on it to pull it completely out of the chain if I am not using it.