RP200A review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP200A

Purchased from: Systems by Trail

I run this pedal through a Line 6 stack and a Washburn custom idol. If you want some advice, don't use this pedal as a distortion pedal. I have all my user presets set to the clean channel at about 35 for a distortion level just to add some bite and high end my amp's distortion. Whatever you've heard about this pedal not being a good choice for metalheads, it's all true, depending on what context you use this pedal in and what type of amp you have. The pedal's onboard distortion sounds terrible, so bypass that and use your amps distortion. I bought this pedal for the effects, not the distortion. The wah sounds very good if you take about 30 points off the wah's top end because the forward half of the expression pedal's range of motion is useless on each wah format. You can change this under the setting for the expression pedal. If you do plan on using the pedal for it's distortion, either run it through a PA system or some speakers, or your amp's stereo input or mp3 input. Just use anything but your amp's clean channel because it sounds terrible with this pedal. People try this pedal out once and they immediately decide it sounds like shit so they just quit. If you use it properly and experiment, it can sound beautiful for metalheads and blues players alike. Also, be sure to add some chorus on setting 1 for depth and setting 99 for level because it makes tour sound 3 dimensional instead of flat.

I play a lot of different types of music, such as metal, blues, classical, classic rock etc and this pedal satisfies my needs for all genres. I have been playing for three years on electric and some time before that on acoustic. This pedal does not work well with an acoustic guitar but then again for acoustic I prefer all natural tone. If it were stolen, I would buy something else but I'm already thinking about buying something else anyway. I would go for a more complex unit such as the DigiTech GNX4 or the Line 6 POD floor. The one thing I would change about this pedal is that it needs a harmonizer instead of pitch shifter but now I'm just being greedy I guess.

I can and have gigged with this pedal wihtout a backup. I have had this pedal for a couple years now and it was already used when I bought it and it still works fine but I wish it had a power switch instead of having to unplug it every time. It's built very solidly and with some carefulness and some minor maintenence such as greasing the expression pedal's Axl, it can run extremely smoothly for years.

I was a bit intimidated when I purchased this pedal used and it had so many different options. I had never used a multi effects pedal before so I did not know what to look for in a pedal. The effects are extremely easy to access and control, and you can set parameters for each effect you are using with the expression pedal. I only use a few effects out of the whole bundle because many of them are useless and virtually impossible to use in a song. This pedal is great for the travelling guitarist because you can play straight through headphones if you are going somewhere where it isn't possible to bring your amp. I didn't bother reading the manual because the pedal is pretty self explanatory when you start using it. Also the bypass/ tuner mode is handy because if you can control the volume in tuner mode and tune while you play or tune silently. This works well since I use my amplifier's distortion.