RP200A review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP200A

Purchased from: Reidy's

I use a Fender Squier Strat with a Frontman 15G amp and just these produce a pretty basic soun, but as soon as the pedal is introduced with even the amp modelling effect, it greatly improves it. The pedal doesn't get completley distorted in the sense that no note can be heard and the effects are superb quality. It comes with 40 customisable effects, 40 artist presets from the likes of Incubus, Nickleback, Iron Maiden and Judas Preist (to name but a few) and 40 standard presets. The effects can be added as little or as much as you like and the quality of them is extrememly good.

I've been playing about 4 years and I play mostly indie and rock (Muse, Kasabian, the Fratellis, Oasis, the Seahorses etc.) and the RP200A is suited for just about all of these. It even has acoustic guitar modelling, so your electric guitar sounds jsut like an acoustic, and you can add things like reverb to it, to enhance it further. I would buy this again, but I'd consider the models above (RP300A, RP400x) before hand. I looked at the RP200, RP150 and the RP80 before I chose this, so it wasn't the first idea, but out of the ones I looked at, this was by far the better.

I have had it since Christmas, so not that long, but I have never had a problem with it. Customising the first 40 means you can set it up in sequence as required for songs. I'd use it at a gig because you set your own effects and when they're in order, all you need to do is hit the foot switch (up or down) to alternate. The 'expression pedal' can be set to raise or lower the effects amount, gain etc. so even with one effect, it can be used as many.

The customisation of effects is really simple, all you need to do is just press a button and you can scroll through different effects and add them. The manual shows detailed description of each individual effect and explains how to use the pedal. It's easy to change between effects using the up and down foot pedals, and the expression pedal can easily alter effects amount and other things.