RP200A review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP200A

Purchased from: Craigslist S.D.

I have a PRS CE 24, so that gives anything great tone, but have also used a crummy Gretsch electric, Fender Fat Strat, Ibanez RG models, and an Epihpone Les Paul. Amps I use are a Carvin V3, Crate GLX 1200. The sound is consistent. The guitar obviously contributes to the deviation of the overall tone, but the RP 200a picks up a lot of slack. The delay settings are ioncredible, the amp modeling is great to. I am not a huge effects fan as far as detune, flanger, phaser, etc. but this allows you to really get creative, and sometimes when you need an extra effect on the recording, this can do the trick. I really go for a Moving Pictures Alex Lifeson tone, big lush distortion that is crisp, so I have a few settings of my own I use. Another big point is how much extra volume the pedal gave me. I can pretty much out blast my band mates Mesa Dual with this going through my V3, and not sacrifice any hum or annoying signal. The compressors are a really handy feature to use in between songs.

I play rock, metal, and blues. The RP200A is very versatile. I ahve stated the gear and equipment I priamrily use, and practice about 2-3 hours a day. I bought this unit origianlly for silent practice in the wee hours of morning because it has a 3.5mm headphone input. Abnother cool feature is the headphone to headphone capability, so you can use an iPod to play along with your tunes or a backing track. The drum Machine has several different settings, mostly in 4/4, but they beat the hell out of the monotonous click of a quartz metronome. If stolen I would honestly buy a GNX 4 because it is the latest model, and has a USB interface. I am a converted DigiTech enhusiast now.

The frame is very sturdy. I have droped some heavier equipment on it and it has come away comsemtically unharmed. Make sure you use the right power adaptor or else you will get no sound. So far the RP200A has nopt let me down. However I must advocate the poor inefficeincy of the DigiTech Customer Service Department in Utah. I am not impressed at all, it is almost as bad as AT&T, which is why I took points off in this section.

The preset tones offer a huge variety, to get a truly great sound, you need to know how to manipulate the EQ's and effects. Knowing what sound you want exactly this thing can do. Amazing brilliant cleans, great souinding rock overdrive, or piercing metal distortion. I use primarily 5 different setting that I made originally or built upon a factory preset. You can actually rename any of the 40 programmable effects for quick reference.