RP200A review by DigiTech

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
DigiTech: RP200A

Purchased from: No idea

The first thing I learned with this is that you keep it on the clean channel - the slightest bit of Overdrive means it kicks in the biggest amount of white noise & feedback possible. Migraine-worthy. Also, you need some volume with this, because it tends to cut out a bit when the guitar is at low volume (although I've had no problems with my Epi les paul, so I blame the Peavey Raptor). Creates a little extra noise, nothing much though. Whilst they may not be exactly right, the modes it has usually do get you 90% of the way, which is always handy.

So far as stealing is concerned, if I hear then, I'd use this because it' die-cast metal & sharp corners, so it's a case of bang! and they're now unconscious. To be fair, I've been put off multi-effect pedals with this, as it makes my guitar feel like a cheap school keyboard, and also removes a lot of the feeling of skill out of it, the old 'Why bother getting this part 100% when I can get somewhere close & throw some random effects over it' deal. In fairness, in the future, I'll buy the single pedals, got 4 in mind as it is (Marshall Bluesbreaker, Guv'nor, jackhammer and Dunlop Crybaby Slash signiature).

I did try to use it at a gig once, but it managed to interfere with the PA for some reason, when the only sockets it shared with the PA were the main power supplies, so it's not a gig-reliable piece of it. Well, not with cheap & shit PA, anyways. I would suppose it'd be dead handy to have at a gig, If you had it all preset before-hand & knew precisely what you were doing with it. It's just so easy to trip up over little things that an beginner-average player with little knowledge of these things can overlook or forget about.

Even though it came without a manual, the ease of which I could get at Everything was quite impressive. when trying to create new modes, it doesn't bombard you with too much at once (Even if the wah mode is broken for making your own, but the one built in rocks nicely enough) 80 different modes, 120 in total (the 40 'artist' ones are repeated again so you've got a little space you make your own & not compromise anything), there's pretty much everything there, death metal to jazz is covered. Okay, most of the special artist modes are Just a touch shite (only the Acey Slade, Murderdolls and now Trashlight Vision, sounds anything close to their actual sound, but they sound okay on their own), also with a built in drum machine, which is handy, but it does get annoying after 10 minutes or so.

TeamSanchez
    hey Ive had this pedal for a month or so, getting bored of the crappy pre-sets, anyone got any homemade patches for system of a down, rage against the machine, metallica, and so on? Would appreciate some good patches. The ones from the digitech sound community are mostly no good.
    dirkdigler
    I've had this pedal for a little over a year. and i agree, this pedal is mainly a beginner pedal. i now use compressor/sustainer & a crossroads. still use this one as my phaser,envelope,flanger etc. until i get the real pedals.
    Quantumdriven
    I got lucky and nailed a pristine used one of this for $75 including postage. It'll make a crap Ibanez Toneblaster 15 watt amp sound like a pro rig, I'm not a kiddin'! I got it for the nephew 'cause he wanted more amp selections than the RP70 and the attached side pedal that allows you to custom juice your effect on the fly. I'd advise the poor among us to go for the RP70 as you can get it brand new for $79.95 and free postage at Music123.com, and it's really all you need. Some on here are crabbing about the presets, and yeah some of them are terrible if you despise overcooked distortion. But hey you can make your own presets on this bugger and store and line them up in the order that you'd need them and can scroll up and down with your foot. So you're not bound to the presets by any means, and can in fact store the ones you like on your personal gig channel. The factory presets are a huge scroll and meant to give you a clue, so don't be pissed if the solo stomp is miles away from one of the presets you want to use it with. Fer-cryin'-out-loud read the manual and store that solo boost and the preset next to each other. This is really a miracle piece of equipment out of China. Someday they'll make one that has multi store channels so that you can store a set of factory or custom presets for each song. But that will be a $2500 unit when it first comes out I bet.