RP250 review by DigiTech

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
DigiTech: RP250

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

I run this into a Line 6 amp with a Jackson 7 string and the amp's celestion speaker produces a very warm but kinda tingy tone. There is a built in adjustable noise gate which takes all the noise out, and half of your sound! The clean settings become distorted at high volumes, so I would recommend this device for recording applications. A speaker emulator or mixer button is for direct recording without using a guitar amp, a nice feature to have. The effects sound pretty crazy (a good crazy) and produce all kinds of sounds that you would never think a guitar could do, there is even a bass guitar simulator!

This is a very versitile effect processor, but with experience, is best suited for it's wicked classic rock and clean tones. The high-gain settings seem to be good only for solos (which I am not too much of a fan of) than heavy riffage. I love the compression models which can dramatically improve your pickup capabilities, and there are a ton of amp models to choose from which means a variety of sounds are availiable. I also love the warm clean tones for jazz which sound amazing at low volumes. I would not buy it again if it were stolen, I would rather spend the 100 bucks more and get a Line 6 Floor POD, but I am still impressed by DigiTech's new products.

I would not use this device for a show, but I would definately use it for recording. The die cast construction could survive a drop or two, but not a singer stepping on it. I don't like the way it turns on and off, there is no Switch, just pull the adapter out and it's off.

The RP250 can produce nice sounds ranging from rectified high-gain tones to warm jazzy sounds. The RP250 comes with 60 user presets that can be customized to your liking, using the X Editor program that can be downloaded off the DigiTech website. The effects are pretty good for the price, and harmonics scream out of the amp regardless of what pickups you have! Although the instruction manual can be a good Tool to have sometimes.