RP250 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP250

Purchased from: Guitarshop.ro

I am using this effects processor with a Stagg L400 (great guitar) and a Roland Cube 15x (probably the best practice amp ever) and I am quite satisfied with the sound I can get out of this setup. First of all, the DigiTech RP250 comes with 30 tones presets and 30 effects chains, but it would be a good idea to take the time to fine tune the sound you get out of it. For example, just adjusting the tone you use with a preset can greatly change the sound and deliver different results. Secondly, do NOT rely on this baby for all your distortion needs. I mean it. Although some effects are decent and some even more than satisfying, most of the time you'll end up with a terrible distortion effect (the DigiTech RP250 has the tendency of using too much gain with the distortion), but that doesn't affect me very much, since my amp can supply all the distortion I need. Finally, you must know that regardless of your musical style, this unit can produce the sound you are looking for with a little effort and that makes it probably the best choice for its price.

I've been playing seriously for about 9 months or so and I mostly stick to punk and Grunge and alternative and I really don't want to try anything else, because I enjoy what I play and this DigiTech RP250 has been really helpful (the whammy effect allowed me to play some Tom Morello solos, the acoustic guitar emulator has really made me dump my old acoustic guitar). If it were to be stolen/lost I would probably jump off a bridge. And if I survive, then I'll save money for it but it again. I was thinking of buying either this DigiTech RP250 or a Zoom G2.1u, but I'm happy with my decision. Overall, this is the best thing you can buy in this price range!

If it's that great, why not 10? What made me give it just a 9? Well, let's just say that it's rather tricky to bypass this processor (since you must push the both footswitches at once) and if your first attempt at doing so fails, then you are probably going to mess up because the selected preset will be random. Other than that. The expression pedal is great, although when you push it a little harder it sometimes activates the wah effect, which can be quite frustrating. All things considered, it's both reliable and durable (it's made out of metal).

My version of the DigiTech RP250 came with the 1.9 firmware update included, so I cannot refer to earlier versions in my review. It is pretty easy to use and you'll the hang of it in 10 minutes maximum, the manual being very helpful. Now, I've had problems with connecting this model to my PC, and I haven't succeeded in doing so yet. The drivers refuse to work and my PC cannot recognize the attached device. I think the problem lies in the fact that I don't have SP2 installed on my version of Windows XP (as specified in the Minimum Requirements), but that's really not an excuse for DigiTech. If it weren't for this problem, it would have probably received a 10 from me. All in all, just a 7.

Zoso518
    This is an awesome effects pedal. I bought it a couple months ago, and I use it every time I play. But one of the pedals that switches through the settings broke but i fixed it by taping it down and it still works. its a great investment.
    Shredmaster42
    Well I just figured oot that my Line 6 amp is designed not to work with effects processors and thats why it sounds bad on my amp. Sorry for talkin smack about Digitech for all you Digitech fans out there.
    01meliac
    The woman preset is not for WOLFMOTHER, its for for Claptons famous 'Woman TONE'!
    Big Light
    This is a great multi-effect pedal. Some of the presets sound too synthesized and high-tech, but some of them are really cool.
    mwill309
    hey dankhus, i had the same problem with my ZOOM g2.1 and the cubase recording software. if you have a recording programe go into the "devices" tab and look around in there till you find something that says USB system bus (or similar) and tick that box, that is what happened when my foot pedal wasn't recognised by the computer!
    Santiii
    does anyone know any website with presets of famous artists and songs?? i would appreciate it if you could tell mee...sonick98@hotmail.com thankss!
    vishwamdev
    dissapointed a bit... the store and edit buttons don't seem to function smoothly.. no real good distortion either too distorted like metal or just weird sounding... more band presets should have been given, sandman effect is the noisest effect ive ever heard n its no where close to the actual song my metallica.