RP250 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP250

I use the pedal with my Washburn Lyon Practice guitar, an Ibanez Tube Screamer 909 Overdrive, and a DigiTech DigiVerb Digital Reverb Pedal. I think that the distortion settings have a good volume, but the clean tones are quiet. The flanger effect can seem either too powerful or too weak at times. it is easy to get the sounds of artists like Van Halen and Ray Toro of My Chemical Romance. a lot of the settings used by artists are factory presets. One drawback I saw was that you can't use more than one major effect at a time, like if you wanted chorus and flanger at the same time.

I tend to play hard rock and alternative music, and must admit it does work well if it's working right. I've been playing for 3 years now, and it does work well. I kinda wish I had waited and saved more money, so I could get the next step up (RP350). If it were stolen, I wouldn't get a different pedal, because though there sre several drawbacks to this pedal, it still works for me (also, the insurance won't pay for a different pedal). I hate the limitation of effects at a time, like if you want chorus and IPS (a digital Harmony simulator) at the same time, you'd need a different pedal for one of those effects. I chose this pedal 'cause it fit my price range and seemed like the coolest shit at that time. I wish that it had more effect capabilities and less of a limitation on them.

I can't really depend on it, because after a long period of use, it will normally freeze up upon starting it up again, Displaying random letters upon the screen. I would not use it without a gig bag, and probably wouldn't go without one anyway due to it's limited number off effects at a time.

After 4 months, I believe that it's relatively easy to get a good sound out of the RP250 if you know what you are doing. It's somewhat complicated editing the presets without the X-Edit program (which you can download from the DigiTech website). Without X-Edit, you can't really use the pedal to it's fullest extent. The manual is okay, but does not really elaborate on the whole troubleshooting aspect of the pedal. I'm not even sure if you can update the firmware, or if mine has been updated. Overall, I do not recommend this pedal to beginners.

bucketslasher34
    i recently purchased the rp250 and i love it. i'm an instrumental player, largely influenced by players like steve vai,rustey cooley and dave mustaine, with some occasional slash-like blues thrown in the mix, and i have to say that this pedal can pull anything off. i love the ya effect, as it allows me to finally cover yai yai by steve vai.
    elcooper
    I got mine yesterday from Musician's Friend. Head and shoulders above the cheap Behringer that I returned before it. Solid construction, great presets, easy user settings, oh and bonus, a nice simple drum machine. I'll be keeping this one.
    jarett
    i had problems with my pedal too.the expression pedalnever change sound.but u can fix it tells u in the manuel towards the back.