RP250 review by DigiTech

• Reviewer's score: 5.5 Decent
DigiTech: RP250

Purchased from: Strings and Things Music

The sound has its ups and downs. The stompboxes and modulation are fake sounding, obviously. the Wah is horrifying. On the up side, the cleans you can get out of this are astoundingly good, especially on the "acoustic" amp setting. Light to medium distorted tones are pretty mediocre sounding, occasionally shrill-sounding, but not often. However, when you get into heavy distortion, this pedal absolutely SUCKS.It's got this awful fizzyness to it, and it's near impossible to get, say, a tight metal sound, for instance. If you turn up the treble and mids just... a... little... bit... the fizziness and shrillness get much worse. The heavily distorted tones only sound good for maybe a really scooped tone or a powerpop/punk type sound. I'm giving this pedal a six for that reason.

I have been playing guitar for three and a half years, and I play everything from old-school jazz to Satch-type rock to death metal. I own this, a Peavey Rage 158, a Fender Mustang I, a DigiTech JamMan Solo, an Ibanez ART100, a BC Rich Mockingbird, a heavily modified "ROKAXE" walmart guitar, an Alvarez Regent (acoustic), a beat-up Disney Camp Rock guitar I got for $15, and two no-name classical acoustics. I have played countless other guitars and amps, ranging from First Acts and Squiers to Ibanez Prestiges and $2000 Schecters, and amps going from $20 Danelectros to top end Oranges and Marshalls. Needless to say, I know good gear from bad gear. The RP250= fairly mediocre to bad. Fizzy distortion, scratchy jacks, unusable footswitches, and a really shrill Wah make this thing less than desirable. If this were stolen or lost, I'd be really mad, as it was pretty expensive and I'm just now, after 2 years of it, starting to get nice tone from it, but I wouldn't buy a new one. Just face it: it's a cheap modeling pedal. If you're on a budget, get a Fender Mustang I and a wah, and you can do the same amount of stuff for about the same price, and you'll get much better tone.

After about two years with this product, the guitar input is falling apart, the headphone-out jack is basically broken, and the left switch-button refuses to respond to presses. I would not trust this thing to hold up at a live gig. No question. I wouldn't even bring it to a gig- period.

This baby is fairly intuitive. it comes with 60 stock presets and 60 programmable ones. The stock presets kinda stink, due to various reasons (really strong noise gate, shrill, fizzy, you know...) but luckily the pedal lets you do really deep editing really easily. Even the manual is simple and clear. I have to say, DigiTech did a great job in the user-friendliness area.