RP250 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP250

Purchased from: Craig's List ad

I'm going out of a '63 Fender Twin with old JBL's (D120F) that I got from the Grateful Dead out in San Rafael. So far so good - it does sound a little strange coming through that amp but my kid thinks it's awesome so I'[ll go with that. Treble and bass on 5, mid on 6, volume on 2.5. The effects sound very good. Chorus might be a touch weak - may need more tweaking. Big Room and Satch are awesome - I'm a lead player with a Whammy bar habit and in those patches it soars. Oh, playing mainly a Deluxe '02 Strat with stock pu's and an '86 Ibanez Roadstar II with some other pu's my tech installed - I don't know what they are but they are HOT...

Progressive rock and the RP250 is a good match. I like the fact that I can head down to a rehearsal studio in Manhattan without lugging a rack full of gear. I've been playing for close to 4 decades. I own a lot of stuff - have owned just about every pedal there ever was - most got stolen or lost somehow - If this one gets pinched I might go for the next generation up. I love the easy access to editing features. I hate the footswitches! The up and down should have big YELLOW arrows pointing up and down so I know where to go. The patch numbers have to be put in manually - and they are not easy to hit simultaneously - turning on the tuner is really hard, the up and down pedals are annoying as hell. The Expressional pedal is great but there should be a little more effort involved to get the Wah switched on - it's too easy to trigger. I like the big green letters. The bigger the better - don't make these any smaller! I chose this because I read some good reviews and the price was right. I wish it had a simple button on the TOP LEFT CORNER of the box to trigger the tuner. And the tuner should use the big screen - not the tiny lights running vertically. Even with my glasses it's hard to see.

The RP250 looks and feels reliable and I feel I could depend on this unit on stage. I would certainly use this and not be concerned about having back up gear. That said, it never hurts to be prepared. It feels rugged and road-worthy - DigiTech might want to provide something more durable than just a gig bag. Give us a real case!

Very easy to model your sounds - limited EQ range but all in all it is a breeze to access all the effects, amps, reverb, delay, etc. You won't need to spend much time with the manual. Editing the patches - again very easy for the most part. Some things don't seem to work as well in certain patches - a little sketchy, but overall it hasn't been an issue. Reverb is not the greatest on the planet but it's still quite good. The manual is short and well put together. There doesn't seem to be any way to change the drum volume - am I missing something? But it's a nice feature to have for practicing. My unit hasn't been upgraded yet - I've had it for about 24 hours.