RP255 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP255

I play BTBAM and metal, and some pop. I use Epiphone Les Paul Special II and no amp. It's not at home at the moment. So I just hook it up to a sound system or headphone but it sounds not bad at all. I am looking forward to chances to play this setup through a good amp later. First of all, the processor in RP255 is mighty, powerful. When I used to have AX1500, it tended to mush out the clarity in ringing when there were multiples of strings ringing at the same time. I guess it was due to beyond its simultaneous process capability. RP255 doesn't have that. When I play in the way where multiple of strings ring at the same time, it sings what's received: Straight and clear like vodka. To talk about the tone of this effect, it is truthful and satisfactory (at least for me) depending on what kind of setup you make (and if you do it right), this effect can get you pretty much anything from heart breaking tone from screaming mofo. My setup on this is TS 808 boosting + Mesa Recti + VTG4X12 (CLS 4X12 sometimes) Noise gate + and reverb. This is the closest setup I've ever gotten to get BTBAM sound: definitive, mean and powerful. Next, I created a slightly boosted clean tone with Vox AC15 amp and 808 boosting. It is always a poor effort trying to describe sound of anything verbally, but it sounds like warm water flowing around your heart. The decay after ringing the strings remains for a looong ass time and the picking nuance is just awesome. Reverbs sound awesome, too. I've always wanted a studio reverb and when I tried it out, it really sounded like a legit recording!

I've been playing electric guitar for over 5 years and I'm a frugal guitarist who play guitar at home. I had been using Korg AX 1500 for years before RP255, and ever since she came home, 1500's been out of the league. I'm especially impressed by the versatility in tone this effect can produce. One patch with a brutal, thick and chunk tube distortion, and heart breaking soft, crystal clear tones on another. You can even get some bizzare sounding tone using Whammy and flangers. RP255 truthfully is a great leap forward in guitar multi effect technology. It's so goddamn cheap and what it has got to offer is just great: USB recording interface, excellent stomp / amp / cabinet simulations, and on top of that, good reverbs! If I lost this effect, I would definitely work my butt off to get another one. One of the best features that I like is 20 sec long looping system. The quality is good and you can even have overdub on it. Although I find pressing down patch pedals to enter / exit the looping system a lil bit annoying, but I guess the quality of sound compensates it well. I know this is not the best multi-effect available on the market. But if you are looking for a sh*t load of option over good tones for cheap, this is the right pedal for you.

I can depend on this pedal with no problem. DigiTech changed the casing material from plastic to metal. It's got hell a lot heavier than before but it is now sturdy as hell. If I ever let go of the sanity and tried to damage this thing by stomping on it, I know it's not the effect that's gonna get damaged. I don't think this system is going to fail me in 4 years time from now on. The exp pedal works nice and I like resistance it has when I step on it. I would definitely use only this pedal on stage and have no back up for it.

It is fairly easy to get Killer tone out of this RP255. The user interface is like Zoom's compact multi lines, except that choosing one effect chain to another is controlled by these two small up and down buttons whereas Zoom series use dialing control knob. Editing patches on RP255 is fast and convenient, except that you don't have a full control over certain effects (like Metal zone simulation in there) due to lack of dialing knobs. You need to hook it up to your computer and run a program to do it) I only read the manual to see how many amp and stomp box simulations there were. If you ever used a multi effect, the complexity of using this multi would be relatively easy.