RP255 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP255

Purchased from: eBay

I play my Fender American Standard Stratocaster into the RP255 and then into my Blues Junior amp or into a mixer. My favorite feature of this multi-fx pedal is that it sounds great. But also, you can set a patch with no amp model at all and just use effects, and your guitar signal goes through the pedal untouched. I've tested this on a number of occasions, and my Strat into my Blues Junior sounds the same through the RP255 (with no amp model) as going straight through. This is an essential feature for me. Sometimes I don't want modeling, I just want effects. Of course, the models are great too. The AC30, Bassman, and '57 Deluxe models sound just like YouTube videos of the real amps. I also like the Marshall JCM models for lead tones.

I play a variety of styles, and just as a multi-fx unit should, it's anything I want it to be. It can do acoustic simulation, country, blues, rock, metal, and probably dubstep. This thing is a freakin' Swiss Army Knife of sounds. It sure beats the really expensive and heavy pedal board I used for a while. I've been playing guitar through every conceivable piece of gear for over 25 years. If it were lost or stolen, I'd be mad, but I'd immediately buy another one (or two). I've used a lot of different multi-fx units over the years, and this is the best one I've owned, mainly because of it's transparency (see above) and flexibility and small size. So, if you just want the sound without going nuts over some "mojo factor" then get this pedal and just play yer guitar. You won't be sorry.

It's a very tough little gadget. I've been stomping on it daily for a couple of years. There is no higher praise for a pedal than that. Not only would I gig without a backup, I HAVE gigged without a backup, every week for over a year. My RP255 has had beer and soda spilled on it, as well as being carried around in my gig bag, along with mic stands, and other metal objects. The RP255 has never given me one second of trouble. I bought it used from an eBay seller, and after a few years, it's a bit scuffed, but works just the same as the first day I plugged it in.

I think it's easy to get good sounds out of the presets, but I don't know anyone who would just use presets. The on-unit preset editing takes a lot of button pushing and knob twisting, but it's not hard once you've done it once. I wouldn't be easy to do in a gig situation, but at home, it's fine. The X-Edit software is easy to use and allows me to customize and save my favorite sounds. There are two ways of choosing sounds: 1) through the named presets (some based on artists) but also via the "Tone Library" knob that lets you choose genres of music.

Insane_Hippy
    I have one of these things, and I absolutely love it. The only problem with mine is the expression pedal broke after about a month.. but that's alright by me as I hardly ever used it in the first place.
    Insane_Hippy
    My aforementioned problem has been solved... turns out the pedal just needed to be re-calibrated. Confused as to how it completely stopped sensing me pressing it until I went to re-calibrate it, but oh well, it works now. So to anyone having issues with the expression pedal not working who happens to be reading this; try re-calibrating it (hold both the foot switches until it passes the tuner function)
    Evergrey
    Digitech ruined the hole current RP line with faulty noise gate wich ruins hole units. U cant use external either and they are refusing to fix it. Google: rp1000 noise gate