RP300A review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP300A

Purchased from: Local Shop

In terms of sound, this pedal is fine for a beginner, but, as with most any multi-fx pedal, a more serious player would be much better off with single effects. Effects like chorus, flanger, and delay are covered pretty well, and I do enjoy playing around with the different amp models. It is also nice to have an extensive amount of preset tones to provide a basis for creating the sound you're looking for. Since this is a digital pedal, however, some of the effects/models sound really thin and artificial. The distortion/gain, for example, is horrible in this aspect. It is very thin and shrill and makes my amp squeal horribly when I turn it up. I was definitely not impressed with the wah; it has very little sweep, especially with bassier tones, and was not nearly as clear and rich as what you would get out of a nice Crybaby or Vox. Also, although I rarely use it, I didn't feel that the Whammy effect was up to par; it sounded as though the raised pitch was nearly a 1/4 step less than what it should be, and, like the distortion, was also very shrill. Overall, some of the effects are covered well, but a more serious player would want to purchase single effects.

Overall, this pedal was fine for experimenting with different effects when I first started, but after 2 more years of playing, I've found that these effects sound much better coming from single units. I play a lot of classic rock (Zeppelin, GN'R, Van Halen, Boston, Skynyrd), so good Overdrive, wah, and distortion tones are essential for me, and this is exactly what this pedal is lacking. If this pedal was stolen, I definitely wouldn't be in a huge rush to replace it, and to be honest, I probably would not even do so. Definitely recommend it for a beginner using it to practice and experiment with different effects, but not to anyone who is at a point where they are very serious about playing. If you do plan to use this pedal in your lineup, at the very least purchase a single wah, distortion, and overdrive, because they are not covered well at all by this unit.

This pedal is one of the most durable I have used. I have dropped it numerous times and it works just the way it did when I bought it. The only reliability problem I've had is that it is difficult to set the knobs exactly where I want them to be. For example, if I try to set the knob to the third amp model, it sometimes flickers back to the second one before I can store the setting. Hard to explain, but troublesome, nonetheless. Just because of this, I probably wouldn't use it on stage, but it is fine for practicing.

This pedal is fairly easy to use, especially considering the extensive amount of effects and models you can get out of it. There is a ton of room for storing your custom sounds, and you can store them in a certain order to provide for easy switching between tones. It is a little tricky to use at first, but a quick read through the manual will have you up and running in no time.