RP350 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP350

In my opinion, the sounds are very good. I'm playing it through a Jackson DKMGT and using an old-and-crappy DOD Grunge amp (biggest piece of crap, but this unit makes my crappy amp sounds better than it ever has). The effects overall are good and extremely tweakable (you could spend hours tweaking sounds). In terms of recording, the sound quality is also very good through my PC computer (2.0ghz dual core). I use Riffworks (which I also recommend, by the way) to record, and ASIO4ALL as my ASIO drivers because the ASIO drivers from DigiTech would not work (though they told me it wasn't the RP-350's fault, but rather, Riffworks's).

No matter what style of music you play, this device is sure to get the sound you want. Don't worry about the other guy Who's device broke, he surely got a lemon. If I lost possession of this device, I would surely buy a new one. For someone Who wants to get many effects or for someone Who wants to use their PC to record, this is the device for you (I was thinking about the GNX3 and GNX4, but I decided that I didn't want to spend that much and wanted a more portable device).

As far as I can tell, this device is really reliable. The other guy who complained about this thing dying after two hours surely got a lemon; it's quite obvious that not every RP350 will die after two hours, so I don't know what he's complaining about. In terms of gigging, this device isnt ideal because there is a significant delay when switching between presets.

Like it says on the website, there are two ways to get sound: you can either select an amp model/distortion combo with one knob and then dial in effects with another knob to make a great sound, or tweak a custom model to your hearts content. Though customizing a guitar tone through the matrix is a bit confusing and intimidating at first, once you read the manual (which is well written), you'll realize the logic behind the matrix and haven no trouble editing patches for hours. I had to update my RP350 manually through the website to version 1.1.

d12stringer
    I am the one who posted the first review on this and wish to revise my evaluation. The problems were: (1) a defective download of the firmware revision (2)poorly written help for the X-Edit software, and not in the hardware itself. While I give higher marks to the unit itself, I still give low marks to Digitech for poor customer/technical support because the problems should have been discovered and corrected in beta testing before the firmware and software revisions were posted. As such, the problems were foreseeable by Digitech and they have not acted proactively to prevent such problems. LESSONS LEARNED: 1: When editing patches, one can edit using the X-Edit software OR the controls on the unit, but using the controls on the unit while it is connected to the PC with X-Edit running will cause the Windows equivalent of a fatal error crash in the unit. This is not mentioned in either the owner's manual or the X-Edit manual. On a positive note, I also give DigiTech higher marks for using heavier guage wiring on the power supply. This should prevent line interference or ground loop hum prevalent with the angel hair wiring in a cheap power supply.
    srushing
    I need some help from those of you who use your RP pedals for studio recording. I just purchased the RP250 and I did the update to the 1.7 version on the firmware. I downloaded the drivers from the Digitech site. I use Adobe Audition as my DAW and I am running on a Widows XP platform. When I record the first track from the pedal it works fine. I can play it back on my monitors and things sound fine. When I go to the second track and hit the record button I get this loud terrible noise coming from the first track. Do any of you know how to fix this problem? I was told that I needed ASIO drivers. I was also told that Digitech has ASIO drivers that don't work. I just need some help with this if any of you have had this problem and were able to overcome the situation. Thanks for the help, Sheldon
    srushing
    I was just told by Digitech support that I needed to adjust the settings on the pedal. He said to adjust the USB/RP mix level on the unit. Who can verify this? Thanks, Sheldon
    cooldude11
    The ability to use ASIO drivers is dependent on whether or not your pc soundcard can handle it. WDM drivers are more common(and better). MME is very slow with high latency. ASIO has low latency but can be a pain. If you use ASIO4ALL be prepared for problems. It requires some tweaking and is very buggy. You can use a different software program to record, and you may need to because it's that program that is responsible for accessing the drivers, not the unit itself. Your RP350 is nothing more than a plug-and-play hardware installed by Windows using a driver(not ASIO). Then you can record with any audio program.
    cooldude11
    ALmost forgot, I like the RP350. Its way better than the cheaper ones. Its a compromise really. YOU GOTTA HAVE A SWEEPABLE MID-RANGE ON THE EQ!! This is the cheapest you will find with that feature. In case you are wondering why it's important, without it you have to just turn up a preset mid frequency that may not give you the sound you want and you are stuck with it. FORGET THAT!! You have to be able to change the frequency to customize the sound, especially if you are trying to avoid the fuzz that digital distortion is bad about. I played through an RP100A and turning up the preset mid basically gave me a grunge sound. YUKK!! And when i did get the sound i wanted the bottom end was gone!! So really all 3 eq frequencies should have sweeps. This is so neglected in the units. My old RP7 had sweeps on both the mids and highs, and the low was more responsive than this one. Digitech is an excellent company but i am guessing money and politics gets the consumer a shortcut product. If they did more work to the EQ, ALL of their products would be more versatile.
    cooldude11
    finally.... if you know anything about mixing live sound, the boards have sweeps on the mids(commonly) and sweeps on all3 (big daddys). This is because its so important to make sure that the sound traveling from the instrument to the ear sounds pleasant. Every sound is different and requires precise adjustments. Without the sweeps a sound man would be living a nightmare. The same is true for guitarists who know this. Many who give out bad reviews do it because they have no clue that the sounds were sucky because they couldnt cusotmize well enough. So they try to get a good sound, dont like it. They turn up the preset 1k mid knob and it sucks. But if they turned a sweep to like say 2.5k and boosted it it would sound BETTER! Maybe the sound is just right but there's some fuzz in the distortion. The preset amp modelers take it away but also kill everything else(typical). You try bringing down the preset 10k high knob, but it kills the snap. If you dialed in with a sweep at like say 12k and cut it a few db's then there goes the fuzz, and there stays the snap! Not having sweeps on the eq is absurd and i call it an insult to consumers. Its a cheap technology and there's no excuse. So again i think its about politics, so before you lick their boots, you may want to write them and complain about not having this feature and we might see it.