RP350 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP350

The preprogrammed sounds were not much use to me, but this is nothing new. I find that most effect manufacturers are more interested in showing how many effects they can pile on at once rather than getting useful tones out of the box. With that in mind, I took a quick preview of the presets and set about creating a tone from scratch. The X-Edit interface made tweaking presets a breeze, and the overwhelming number of options was much easier to sort through. As a metal-head, I was disappointed at the lack of variety in the high-gain department. There are no models for the Uberschall, Ecstasy, Diezel, 05, or the like, and I was not happy with the results from the Rectifier, JCM800, or SLO models. I eventually came up with a decent heavy rhythm tone with the DigiTech Solo model and some judicious EQ. For leads, I paired a Tube Screamer with a Marshall Jump Panel, and iced it with some Echoplex and verb. I was able to get a pretty convincing Alex Lifeson "Power Windows" tone with the Vox AC15, TC Chorus, and gobs of analog delay. I could nail an early Santana tone with the Boogie Mark II model, and even some Zeppelin-esque sounds with the various 100-watt Marshall models. The lower-gain models were much more realistic, in general. I was also pleased to find that the RP350 sounded much better through a PA than through headphones or my computer speakers. I awarded an extra point for this.

I was a bit more liberal with my rating after factoring in the RP350's super-low $199 price tag. I wouldn't trade in my rack full of high-dollar gear for it, but for practicing at home and laying down demo tracks, it's a great value. There simply is no substitute for glowing tubes, 4x12 cabinets and lots of volume in my book, but DigiTech has packed an enormous amount of features and processing power into a compact, sturdy pedal. The design is well-thought-out from a guitarist's perspective -- they even allow you to send a compensated output to the house while sending a full-range signal to your amp, if you wish. I think I'll keep it in my gig bag in case I blow a tube at a big show. Thanks to www.geartree.com for their help with this review.

I have had no trouble with the pedal in the time I have had it, and I have found DigiTech's long-term reliability to be very good. Their customer service is also top-notch, so in the rare instance you do run into trouble, they'll help you out.

You can get a variety of tones quickly on the RP350. The easiest way is to select an amp/distortion model with one knob and an effects chain with another. For players Who would rather play than tweak sounds, you're ready to go instantly. There is a wide variety of amps and pedals to choose from. The usual palette of Fender, Marshall, Vox and Boogie amp models are present, and pedal/effect models ranging from the ubiquitous Tube Screamer and Fuzz Face to various wahs, compressors, choruses, flangers, phasers, vibratos, tremolos, reverbs, delays and more. You can choose from several different speaker cabinets, and there is even a setting to make your humbucker sound like a single coil or vice-versa. Ease of use would suffer greatly if not for the USB connection and X-Edit software, which is a hugely functional graphic interface. Every part of the signal chain is visible on your computer screen and editable, and clicking a mouse to change your sound is far preferable to bending down to tweak a knob on the unit itself. This is a great solution to marry tons of versatility with ease of use, and should be a feature of any modern multi-effects unit.

Leeviva
    I think reviewing something you broke before really testing it isn't that smart... seems like you only did it in hope of sympathy
    Dvnc
    i love my SG, you have to set the expression effect to AH to use the wah pedal, and use the effect that says Pickup/wah to choose the type u want. If that doesen't work, look in the manual and recalibrate the expression (wah) pedal
    Silky Smooth
    Honestly the more I dive into this thing the more I like it. I know the last line of RP's were garbage they sucked.. this thing is miles beyond that seriously. To my ear it sounds just as good as the GNX series if not exactly the same. I think digitech took a lot of feedback and really took it to heart and made the news ones much better. Nice solid metal casing, good pedal nice interface and good tones. I keep going back to this thing over my ToneLabSe I like it more!!
    SchitzoJoe
    Basically, the last review was by someone who purchased a bad item. The product itself isn't as bad as he says it is, it's just the fact that he got a bad specific item, thus resulting in his dislike of the entire product. Someone, if at all possible delete that last review. It's swaying the average review DOWN.
    wasp2020
    And how, now that I've read it more fully, the Unregistered review is absolutely horrible.
    wasp2020
    You could pay for Audition, whcih is incredible, but yeah, Audacity is the best free one. And I don't know why people are reviewing it after it broke down in 2 hours. You can bash it for crashing, but nobody gives a crap about that because people read reviews to learn about the product's features. Saying it's "unreliable" covers one question and that's it. It's simply a bad review, because it barely reviews anything. Anyways, I love my RP350 and it works perfectly, and I've had it for half a year. (but I guess I should return it, knowing how unreliable it is!) I love the sounds I can get from it, and I love the fact that I can record so many different parts. I upgraded the machine and installed X-Edit without a single problem either.
    Dvnc
    thank silky smooth, i thought it was pretty good but i wanted to know if there was anything better
    Dyer's Eve
    Checked. Stay on topic and Quit with the mormon talk. We have forums for stuff like that.
    Dvnc
    Does anybody think that Audacity is good for hpme recording, and if it isn't, what is a good free program?
    Dvnc
    by the way, i know one of these will work for sure, because i have one of the Rp80s and they rock!
    Barbarastreisnd
    utahotc wrote: I take strong offense at that Mormon comment! ;
    Dude, I am a Mormon and the fact is our church used to condone polygamy and so people make fun of us and thats just the way it is. Calm down, its not a big deal, and lets get back to the review of this pedal.
    Kutanmoogle
    I love how 80's this thing looks. Straight out of the imagination of an Atari-loving 80's kid... Although, after borrowing this from a friend for a month, I can tell you that it sounds pretty bad as far as effects and amp-modelling goes. It's really not worth it to buy this unit.
    xthunderstruckx
    xthunderstruckx wrote: ilovemySG wrote: i have a little rp80 with the wah pedal. My problem is that i cant get the wah pedal to work. tips anyone? well there are only so many ways you can handle this. This is pretty obvious, but have you tried moving it along in your pedal line? (i.e. amp>wah>ped>guitar ) The second one i have, is buy a new one :/ just like the guy up there, you might have gotten a dud. gotta love the reciepts
    and now i feel stupid because i just re-read it and saw what he actually said. my apologies.
    xthunderstruckx
    SGStrummer61
    [quote=jeffadunn789]do not get this peddle. i got this for christmas and the sound is horrible. you have to program every sound you want. get a peddle that has easy access to all the channels[/quote] So you are saying that you want everything done for you? Do you really think that all of the famous artists got their sounds by just plugging into an amp? Seriously dude, stop being lazy and figuring something out.
    ilovemySG
    Metalology
    I have the old version of this, the RP300. You can get quite a few interesting sounds out of it. I can do all Buckethead stuff with it.
    jeffadunn789