RP355 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP355

I am using a modded Fender Strat with Carvin pickups and Floyd Rose Whammy bar, and a 1985 Peavey Impact 1 with Kahler whammy. These go into a DigiTech EX 7, then the RP355, and I also use an old Roland GR 1 guitar synth. All this then gets sent to an ancient Gallien Krueger Master Lead and a Tubeworks 2x12 cab. The RP 355 is not noisy at all, which surprised me, because the last RP pedal I owned was about 10 yrs ago (with the silver and blue chassis) and that one was a piece of junk. The only weak effects I've found have been the chorus, but that could be the fact that it completely lacks the slight upper midrange boost every other chorus on every other effect processor I've heard adds to the sound. The synth-talk and yaya effects seemed kind of useless. The Whammy is great though, as is the harmonized pitch shifter. The MXR flanger model is dead on; the best I've heard. A backward delay effect would have been nice, but hey, this is a $199 effects box...The looper is awesome, and easy to use. I can get all the sounds I actually use in a real, live, playing environment, which is what counts.

I play in a prog-rock-latin music jam-band. (Yes, take a second to let that sink in...) I have been playing longer than Kurt Cobain, but not as long as Keith Richards. I have owned almost every modeler since Line 6 started this craze, and this is the best of them. I also like old guitar synths, Strats and strat-like guitars, solid state amps (go on, call me a heretic!) If it were stolen, I'd probably get another one. At this price, why not? I love that it is compact; the reason I got it was to make room on my pedal board for the GR1 synth.There are a few things I wish it had; a MIDI in port, at least. A power switch. Backwards delay effects...it would also be nice if you could link various other effect parameters to the amp-channel switch; not only have it Switch from a to b, but have the option of, for instance, also linking the chorus depth to it, so it is deeper on the clean channel. My favorite feature is probably the sounds overall. And the looper. I compared this to a Boss GT 10 and it replaces a Zoom G9.2tt. This wins as far as tone.

It's too soon to tell if it is reliable, but given my past experiences with DigiTech gear I can probably drop it off the back of a truck and run over it a few times and it will probably still work. DigiTech quality has been a roller-coaster ride for the past 20 years or so, and now they seem to be back to making decent sounding stuff. They'd always made indestructible stuff though, even if it sounded bad...

The DigiTech RP 355 is really easy to get a good sound out of as long as you take the time to tweak it away from the overdone preset settings. That said, there are even a few usable presets in the unit, which is a rarity for the RP series. Unlike previous RP series pedals, there are no stone bummer models in this unit, but all of them are going need tweaking to taste. The only model that seemed less-than-ideal was the Rectifier model, which sounded kind of harsh and fizzy to my ear. But it is totally subjective; someone else may love it. The manual is well written and explains things very well. Firmware is Vers. 1.4. Frankly, I was amazed at the quality of sounds from a unit in this price range.

XtremesWolf
    just love it, tryed the Boss me-25 and return it to get the rp-355, and to switch to clean to distortion is very easy , simply go to your expression pedal option in X-edit and instead of the volume put it to enable distortion, so when you press it distortion comes alive and when put back to 0 clean sound