RP355 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP355

Purchased from: Furtados' (India)

I'm using a Squier Fat Strat and a Marshall MG15DFX amp. Not the ideal rig, but the pedal makes it sound excellent. I play a lot of Guns N' Roses, Jimi Hendrix, Nirvana, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Oasis, etc. and have been able to get excellent tones for all of these artists, surprisingly even an excellent Slash tone, emulating a JCM800 and an Ibanez Tube Screamer. The Dreadnought Acoustic tone is extremely rich, and sounds excellent. I have, so far, noticed absolutely no noise, however this requires some tweaking of the noise-gate. The best amplifiers, according to me, are the Marshall JCM800, the Vox AC30 Top Boost, and the DigiTech Bright, Brownsound and Saturated Tube amps. The Roger Mayer Octavia distortion is amazing, and can give you the classic Hendrix tone. I didn't like the Boss Metal Zone, though, as it sounds very thin to me, however somebody else might love it. The equalizer has 4 presets and allows you to adjust Bass, Treble, Midrange and Presence, and you can set the midrange frequency from 300 to 5000 hz. There are 4-5 models for each type of modulation effect. The effects are great - the variety would please anybody. The pitch effects are very good - especially the Intelligent Pitch Shifter, which allows to choose the scale you're playing in. There are three wah's; the Dunlop Crybaby and the Vox Clyde McCoy sound the same (very good); the DigiTech Full Range Wah is rubbish, sadly.

I chose this pedal over the Zoom G9 solely because of its looper, and after owning it for three months, I don't regret my decision at all. If it were stolen, I'd kill the guy who stole it. The pedal is basically an upgrade over the RP350; it adds the stompbox mode, the looper and a few more amps. I love everything about it, except maybe the lack of difference in the wah's. My favorite feature is the looper, hands down; it allows you to record upto 20 seconds, and overdub an infinite number of times. (with different patches all the time!) The versatility is fabulous; this is a pedal for beginners as well as pro's and for the price, its excellent. I live in India so I got ripped off and had to pay about 80 bucks more, thanks to Customs, and its STILL worth the price. It owns all competition by Zoom, except perhaps for the Death Metal sound, which I've heard isn't good compared to Zoom, but I'm not into that kind of music so it makes no difference to me. I would recommend this pedal to....anyone.

I haven't tested its durability yet, but it seems extremely well built, especially compared to my older pedal. (Zoom GFX-707) I would definitely gig without a backup. The expression pedal feels extremely strong; metal with rubber grips. However, the footswitches are made of plastic. They haven't let me down, though. The V-Switch is an excellent feature, and lets you Switch on the Wah by tipping the expression pedal forward. In a nutshell, it seems extremely durable.

The ease of use was criticized, compared to the Zoom G7.1ut, but I personally found it extremely easy to use. The X-Edit patch editor for the PC greatly increases the ease of use. The presets that came with the pedal are quite usable. The stompbox (STOMP) mode was an excellent feature and can be used to toggle distortion, effects and delay. Accessing this mode takes some getting used to, but is quite easy once you get the hang of it. The manual explains the features quite well. When I bought the pedal the firmware version was 1.4, which is the latest, so I didn't need to upgrade it.

boss me-25, digitech rp355 , zoom g2.1nu, which is better please help.. all $199 =)
    xxadrianxx
    Line 6 Floor POD Plus vs the digitech rp355 has any1 used both of them? which one u think its better?!
    MaggaraMarine
    I don't know what to say about this pedal. One day I think this pedal is the best and then some other day I think it sucks. I have got some great sounds from it but many sounds sound same. Maybe it depends on me. But if I get a good clean sound I won't get a good distortion sound from the same preset. XtremesWolf gave good advice. Maybe I should try. But I think the amp models suck when your gain is low and there are only some amps that don't distort with hi gain. I think the pedal should have a switch between amp distortion and clean channels. But I should try XtremesWolf's advice (thanks for advice XtremesWolf).