RP355 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP355

My set up is pretty shitty, but it makes it sound a lot better, my guitar is an ibanezrg350m, into the RP and then to the front input of mi crappy 10 watt amp. I've found that most fx are rather good, except for the choruses, they're not bad but could be better, they sound too weak for me, but other than that I was surprised by the quality of the fx. I've had a hard time getting the sounds the way I wanted them, but if you take enough time tweaking it you can achieve great tone. I've made several patches from scratch and the results have been good, I particularly like my RATT, ZakkWylde and Bark at the moon patches, they sound great. I also made a patch for yngwie malmsteen's tone, it's ok but i'm still working on it. The od's(screamer, 808, dod250) are ok and most distortion models sound good as well, but I was very dissapointed with the big muff model, it's just not creamy and fuzzy enough, you can't really get a good meaty muff tone out of it, I also don't like the metal zone model, but I hate the metal zone itself, so that's not to blame on the rp355, I guess. The amp models sound good to me, I don't know how those amps sound in real life because I've never played tru them, but the sound is good no matter how accurate or unaccurate they might be.

I play heavy, trash, glam and shred. And I get really nice tones for those styles from this unit. I've been playing guitar for almost 4 years now. I own an ehx metal muff with top boost, an Epiphone Les Paul Special and I used to have an RP50 but that ended up in the trash can after many years of abuse(I got it second hand).The metal muff is great for rythm, but for lead it just doesn't cut itand I get great lead tones from the rp355. So, about the rp355, I love the pedal, except for the choruses and the big muff model it sounds awesome if it were lost or stolen I'd get an rp1000, but only after I get a good amp. I watched many videos and read reviews on the internet before I bought it, I compared it to the Boss me25 and me70, and to be honest those 2 sounded like crap to my ears, I didn't try them though, so I could not be 100% sure, but DigiTech has never let me down and for the price and features the RP355 is the way to go.

I'm sure I could gig with it, I'm not currently in a band but if I was in one I'd defenitively use it live. The metal chassis seems to be very sturdy and I don't stomp on it too hard so I shouldn't have any problems with it. So yeah, I'd gig without a backup.

I've found it to be fairly easy to use, the display is very simple, and once you read the manual, it should be very easy to operate this unit. Patches are edited in the same way as they're done a any other rp's, push the edit buttons to surf trough the efectts and turn the knobs to change the parameters, piece of cake. Mine came with the latest firmware, version 1.4 so I haven't upgraded it.

Arby911
    Why would you run a modeling pedal through a modeling amp? Wouldn't it make more sense to get the shortboard for the amp?
    coltRL11
    I love this pedal. im only 14 and i can say that this is a great product
    creativeusage
    Does the 355 have a whammy effect for the expression pedal? I have a chance to buy either the 355 or 500, but as much as I would like to buy the 500, I would settle for the 355 if it performed the same.