RP355 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP355

Price paid: € 200

Purchased from: Thomann

I'm using the pedal for recording because I got Cubase with it and it has USB. I also use it as a low volume amp if I want to play when somebody's sleeping and don't want to disturb him or her. My guitar is Epiphone Les Paul Standard and my amp is Roland Micro Cube. Sometimes I use the pedal through the AUX input of the Cube (so the Cube is only a speaker for RP355) because the Cube is a digital amp and it doesn't like pedals. I used to like the sounds of the pedal but now they sound too digital and flat for me. They miss something that Micro Cube has although Micro Cube is not the best amp and is digital too. This pedal can give a good rock and metal sound. It does cleans but I think it distorts too easily when you turn up the volume. You can't get that funky sound out of it. It's too flat sounding. The effects are pretty good. Its got good delay models and I like the chorus. I rarely use other effects than chorus because I can't find a use for things like auto Ya Ya. There are some effects that I don't like and one is harmonizer. The harmonized sound doesn't stay in the right key. I mean it just throws some random notes there that are pretty close to the scale but not right. I don't understand the Octaver effect. Maybe my signal is too weak but sometimes it just doesn't play the octave below and sometimes it gives a laggy sound. I have used the pitch shifter to lower my sound one octave and I get a poor man's bass sound. I have no bass guitar so I use my electric guitar as a bass. It does its job but doesn't sound like a real bass.

I play rock and metal and I've been playing for about two years. I got this pedal as a present so I couldn't decide what I would have bought. First I was excited. It had lots of effects and sounds. I loved it and played many hours just trying what kind of sounds it could do. But then, after some months, I noticed that it sounded flat. I realized that real amps and effects are much better than some digital multi effect pedals. But it only costs about 200 bucks so it's not so expensive pedal. If it were lost or stolen it would be sad because I couldn't record any music so I maybe would buy it again but maybe I would watch for something else like Vox Tonelabs or Boss or Line 6 multi FX pedals. My favorite feature is that it's cleverly made and it's footswitchable that Micro Cube isn't. I don't like its too-digital and flat sound and I wish its amp models sounded more like a real amp. I hate its harmonizer and Octaver pedal that doesn't work properly. This pedal is good for recording especially if your style is rock or metal. If you want a recording pedal or a big package of stompboxes, amps and cabinets and some weird effects I think I could recommend this for you.

If I gigged I would have to trust on this pedal. It's the only FX pedal that I have so it would be this pedal or no effects. But I haven't had any problems with it. It's made of metal so I don't think it would break if you dropped it. It seems pretty solid.

It's hard to use when you have no experience with it but once you have learned how to use it, you'll notice that it's pretty simple. So I think the pedal is cleverly made: Editing patches is easy once you've learned how to do it. Reading the manual could help but I just started trying things and learned to understand it in some hours. To find a good sound you just have to try different amp models, different EQ settings and effects. I have found the amps that I like and use the most and I rarely use any other amps. In my opinion the Marshall amp models are the best for distortion and maybe the Twin Reverb model is the best for cleans. There are 126 FX and amp/cabinet models in the pedal so you've got what to choose.

MANNN
    Does the 355 have a whammy effect for the expression pedal? I have a chance to buy either the 355 or 500, but as much as I would like to buy the 500, I would settle for the 355 if it performed the same.
    yes this does
    AndyDSA
    MaggaraMarine
    Why does everybody love this pedal sooooo much. I would say that this is not so impressive or maybe I'm not just into multi-fx pedals. The sounds are pretty flat (if that is what we call the digital sound) and you won't be using more than maybe five different stompboxes. So if you bought those real stompboxes you would get better sounds and you don't have to pay so much more. The effects you really will need are chorus/flanger/phaser, distortion/drive/boost (if your amp doesn't have a good distortion/is one channel amp/you don't have boost button for solos), delay and maybe compressor and wah (I don't like to use wah). And those effects would cost something like $300. You pay $100 more but it's worth it. And real stompboxes are much more versatile than multi-fx models.
    MaggaraMarine
    AndyDSA wrote: I have a frustrating issues with this pedal I have scoured this and other forums and my user guide but I CANNOT work out if (what I deem to be a basic function) I can switch between two amps THAT ARE ON DIFFERENT settings by just using the A-B switch or another SINGLE switch If I toggle the Amp A-B switch, I get prompted for the next Amp selection and I use the up or down to select. HOWEVER, when I toggle back, using the Amp A-B switch, the first amp selection has moved to that of the second. I would like to be able to jump between two separate preset amps Do I have to go through a series of steps to store a two amp combination each time I want to do this? Can anybody give me some step by step instructions on how to do this as I cannot find it anywhere
    If you want to store presets, I would first store my amp A. I would select the amp model and settings and EQ it. Then I would press the "store" button. Then I would switch to the amp B and select the amp models, settings and EQ. Then I would press store again. If you want the amp A to be the first to appear when you change presets just press the "store" button when you have your amp A on. And remember that the effects you have selected will be the same on both amps A and B so you can't for example select the Tubescreamer effect for amp A and then Metal Zone for amp B. They use the same effects. It's just the amp model and EQ settings that you can change.