RP355 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP355

I plug my Squier Afinnity Strat into this unit and I plug headphone into the unit. The unit is not noisy, unless you use a high gain amp like a jcm 800 and use a DigiTech Death Metal stompbox with it. The effects in this unit are amazing, and every single one of them sound great. I have not tried to get the sound of my favorite artist yet (kutless), but I'm sure I will be able to. The distortions on the unit are pretty good, and they are better than I expected, but they are probably not as good as individual stompboxes, but they still sound good for a mfx unit.

I play all sorts of different styles of music and this unit fills all of them very well. I have been playing for 4 years and I the only other gear I own is my Strat and my Cube 15X. If this was somehow stolen, I would defanatly buy this again. I love almost everything about this unit, especially the effects and the expression pedal. I don't really hate anything about the RP355. My favorite feature has to be the expression pedal (I don't know if that's a feature, but oh well). I compared this to many other mfx units, like the Boss ME-25, the Zoom G21NU, the Line 6 Pod 2.0, the Vox Tonelab ST, the Behringer V-AMP 3, the Line 6 Floor POD, and a few others. I wish it had a slicer effect, now that would be cool. All in all, the DigiTech RP355 is an amazing unit for the price you pay, and if you're in the market for a mfx unit that's under $200, you should defanatly get the DigiTech RP355. Trust me. You won't be dissapointed.

The RP355 is "built like a tank" and is very sturdy. I would defenatly use this in a gig without a backup.

It is very easy to get a great sound out of the DigiTech RP355. To edit or make your own patch, you basically have 12 different amps and effects sections to choose from. First, you can choose an amp model out of the 34 different amp models which range from clean to heavy. Next, you choose a cabnet option out of the 18 cabnet models. After you choose your cabinet, you can choose to have a distortion stompbox out of the 18 that you can choose from. Next, you can choose to have an effect like flanger or chorus. After that, you can add a compressor. Next, you can add many different types of reverb. You can also add a delay. You can also choose what the expression pedal does. It can be used as a Wah pedal, a volume pedal (which is what the expression pedal defaults as), and many other parameters. You can add a noise gate, and you can even use the pickup simulator, which means you can go from single coil to humbucker pickups, or vice versa. Of course it comes with 70 presets right out of the box, with which you can find some sounds you like. The manual is very helpful. It tells you everything you need to know. It also comes with a 20 second looper and a drum Machine with 60 built in patterns. It also comes with a feature called Learn a Lick. What Learn a Lick does, it basically slows down 10 seconds of a solo on your favorite song, so you can learn it easier.

kutless999
    Not really. You can tweak the stomp boxes just like the real ones.
    kutless999
    27926 wrote: boss me-25, digitech rp355 , zoom g2.1nu, which is better please help.. The Digitech rp355 has more features than the other two and has more effects and all models. all $199 =)
    SSampuser68
    kutless999
    SSampuser68 wrote: I can't believe reviews here sometimes. When you play anything through a piss poor amp it will sound like shit. You lose all credibility when you tell me you play this thing through a Roland Cube.
    The rp355 sounds great through my cube.
    MaggaraMarine
    kutless999
    MaggaraMarine wrote: kutless999 wrote: MaggaraMarine wrote: Why does everybody love this pedal sooooo much. I would say that this is not so impressive or maybe I'm not just into multi-fx pedals. The sounds are pretty flat (if that is what we call the digital sound) and you won't be using more than maybe five different stompboxes. So if you bought those real stompboxes you would get better sounds and you don't have to pay so much more. The effects you really will need are chorus/flanger/phaser, distortion/drive/boost (if your amp doesn't have a good distortion/is one channel amp/you don't have boost button for solos), delay and maybe compressor and wah (I don't like to use wah). And those effects would cost something like $300. You pay $100 more but it's worth it. And real stompboxes are much more versatile than multi-fx models. Not really. You can tweak the stomp boxes just like the real ones. Yes you can but tweaking them doesn't do the same as tweaking real stompboxes because this is a modeler. If you don't play through your cube's aux input and you are using any distortion or amp model it sounds like garbage, I have tried. So I hope you use it through the AUX in.
    I use headphones most of the time, execpt when I play live and the distortion still sounds great through my cube.