RP355 review by DigiTech

• Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
DigiTech: RP355

Purchased from: Furtados music

I use it with a Yamaha Pacifica 112J guitar & a Roland Cube 30X amp. U have to finely tweak the EQ & noise gate, especially when your patch has a lot of parametres, specially distortion. Sometimes, you'll be at a deadlock initially to eliminate the noise, but you'll find a way soon. The amp volume for two amps per patch is not the same, even if you set it at the same volumes. The effects are ok for a unit in this price range, specially the reverbs. However, its no big thing, as DigiTech is world renowned for its reverbs. Effects are nothing if you compare them with Boss single effect pedals. However, comparing effects from a multi effect unit to those in single pedals would be foolish. You can get the sound of any artist you like, you may even take help of the factory patches fot that as they can't be overwritten. Creating sound of artists who have a simple concept while designing their sound is easy using this effect unit e.g. Slash's tone. However, to reproduce sound of those artists who are technically complicated fine tuning would be required, which sometimes proves difficult as the unit has only 3 pedals to change the effects, even while in stompbox mode. The distortion would have been better, but I've tried many units in the medium price-range & good distortion is a problem with all brands there.

I play various genres & its a good match for me. I wish I had known that it didn't have tap tempo feature. However, it's all a matter of being used to. If it were lost, I would save enough & wait long to buy a top end Line 6 unit instead. If someday I get a better tube amp, I would buy a top end Boss unit instead. That's because, I don't think I would be able to save enough for buying individual effect pedals. Boss is good with effects, Line 6 with amp modelling. DigiTech is somewhere in between, you can call it poor man's Boss or Line 6, as it has more features, though. My favourite features are the looper, stompbox mode & the amp switching as A/B per patch. I compared to a Boss ME-25, but it had less features & no drum machine. I also compared to a Korg processor which was incompatible with my version of windows. There was Line 6 Floor POD Plus there, but I didn't feel like trying it. Except ME-25 all units available there were outdated. ME-25 seemed too low end. I wish it had more pedals & a little better effect quality.

I'll have to depend on it as it's adequate for me. Sometimes I feel it has some effects which I would never be using, but that's with all the multi-effects. I've gigged with it without a backup, but I'm one of those musicians who emphasize emotion & content rather than tone & effects, so it may not have been technically pleasing, but I don't bother.

Getting any sound through it is easy, thanks to the simple interface. This is a rare unit in its price range as it lets you use upto 11 effects at a time, so its versatile. Editing patches is a breeze, too. There are 70 factory & 70 user patches given. The manual doesn't explain how to recognize whether you are viewing a patch which is factory or user created. While browsing through factory patches quickly, letter F will be displayed at the middle of the display. The manual is too short. I've never upgraded the unit as its quite new.

wilko10
    I'm a working guitarist and I use the RP355 only for live applications--though the USB hookup is very handy and sounds great for recording. This pedal is extremely versatile and is way more flexible than most of my vintage stomp boxes. People need to learn how to use this thing and listen with your ears. For just pure learning what you may like in real (expensive) specialty stomp boxes, the RP355 pays for itself. IMNSHO, all of the effects are way overdone in the factory presets, and when you dial them down a bit, even the distortion effects sound real good. For the record, I use almost all vintage great amps and prefer not to use any distortion effects because that's what defines these great amps. Why use a great amp, then expect the pedal to make the amp sound? My main gigging amp is a 1964 Deluxe Reverb. For small clubs and quieter gigs, the amp does some of the dirt and the pedal fills in the rest. Soundwise this thing beats almost all of my stomp boxes and here's why. An example is the EH Small Stone Phase shifter (insert your fave here). One knob. One switch. It's on or not, has basically one sound. The RP355 has several phase shifter voices in it, plus EQ and level mix parameters, and the pedal can be assigned to any of these parameters. Individual pedals are more versatile? (some one here posted that) That's not true. Not even close. Plus, this thing can be stuffed in my carry on baggage and I can plug into any unknown back line in god-forsaken country, and I know I'll get all the sounds I need with 1 guitar, two cords, and my RP355.
    MaggaraMarine
    MaggaraMarine wrote: But my Microcube sounds more natural. I mean the amp models are decent but I can get much better sounds with other stuff. I downloaded the X edit and I recommend everybody to download it. Much easier to tweak your settings. Now I get better sounds too.
    Oh, and I have to mention that the thing I like in Micro Cube is that it sounds better when using volume knob. If you turn down your volume with RP355 it sounds the same as if the volume was full but just quieter and thinner. But with Micro Cube you can use volume knob and it sounds much better like if you want to go from distortion to clean with Microcube you can just turn your volume knob but with RP355 you must change the amp model (OK that's not a problem because it's footswitchable). Both units give me close enough Marshall sound that I need. But no "Marshall clean" with RP355.
    MaggaraMarine
    I've started liking this pedal more when not using amp models. And yes, it has pretty good amp models but they sound too digital for me. So for recordings it's good and through a good PA it sounds good too. But with headphones you will hear the digitalness. But now I have used it without amp models and the chorus and phaser and delay effects are pretty good. I don't like using distortion models because my Microcube doesn't take them well. But I'm still saying that real stompboxes are better.
    MaggaraMarine
    So for recordings it's good
    I mean that it goes for recordings. It's pretty decent. It doesn't suck so I can use it for recordings.
    Explorer939
    Arkanist
    Hey, i've been looking for a multipedal, but what i am looking most is for a good distortion and sounds rather than the efects. Is this a good choice? I can't spend more than 200$
    kutless999
    Explorer939 wrote: MaggaraMarine wrote: Why does everybody love this pedal sooooo much. I would say that this is not so impressive or maybe I'm not just into multi-fx pedals. The sounds are pretty flat (if that is what we call the digital sound) and you won't be using more than maybe five different stompboxes. So if you bought those real stompboxes you would get better sounds and you don't have to pay so much more. The effects you really will need are chorus/flanger/phaser, distortion/drive/boost (if your amp doesn't have a good distortion/is one channel amp/you don't have boost button for solos), delay and maybe compressor and wah (I don't like to use wah). And those effects would cost something like $300. You pay $100 more but it's worth it. And real stompboxes are much more versatile than multi-fx models. yeah the thing about the flat sound is kinda true. I have this pedal and I love it, but the artificial sound seems kind of, well, artificial. Don't get me wrong, though, this is a great product by digitech
    You should listen to the older units, now those sound digital(ie rp100, 200, 50)
    MaggaraMarine
    wilko10 wrote: Individual pedals are more versatile? (some one here posted that) That's not true. Not even close.
    I meant that one stompbox is more versatile than one model of the same stompbox. I'm not that much an effect user. Sometimes I use delay and sometimes chorus, phaser or compressor. That's all. The RP355 sounds pretty nice when not using amp models. Then it's pretty good but I don't like the amp models as you can see when you read my review, they're too flat sounding.
    kutless999
    MaggaraMarine
    kutless999 wrote: ^have you tried turning the amp level up and the gain down and adding a tubescreamer with the gain around 60, level at 90, and tone to taste?
    Eduardo treviño
    if anyones interested, i uploaded a a video to YT it's a short solo recorded via usb. let me know what you think. here's the link