RP360 XP review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP360 XP

Purchased from: Sweetwater

This is quite easy to use. Not a lot of clutter, but it has everything you need. There is a wide selection of amps and cabinets. Actually I find I prefer a lot of DigiTech amps, but all your other brand names are there too. I upgraded the firmware once already no problems, but it seems some other people had issues upgrading the firmware. DigiTech support is pretty good though, so you could always call them if you had issues. The desktop software is really nice. No iPad app though, so I'm going to dock a point off for that. I also had to download the user manual, so I'll dock an other point off.

I have to say DigiTech has done it this time. This machine comes with 198 presets (99 user presets and 99 factory presets). This thing sounded great right out of the box, but after EQing my guitar, it sounded awesome. You would be hard pressed to find better tones out there. It has a good mix of clean and dirty tones with a few extras like bass models and other interesting effects. It has your Fender, Marshall, Peavey and Orange tones and DigiTech was very clever with their naming. For example, Orange was renamed Citrus. As well as some of your favourite bands like AC/DC - renamed to DC/AC (obviously avoiding any legal issues)

DigiTech has gone with an all metal body this time, so it is very rugged and will definitely withstand the abuse of live performing. One nice feature was they put a European plug adapter in the box, so if you are gigging overseas, you won't need to buy that extra piece of equipment. It's very compact (about the size of a piece of paper). I carry it around in a laptop bag with room to spare and it doesn't break my shoulder. This was one of the main reason I went with this unit. With all my gear, it's nice to see that someone has actually thought about portability this time.

I've played guitar on and off now for about 18 years. I play a variety of music, rock, alternative, clean styles. I own a Fender Strat, ESP LTD EC256 (modified), Yamaha acoustic electric thinline guitar (APX 500ii) and a Line 6 Spider IV amp. I really like the ease of use on this machine. The RP360 XP doesn't have a lot of clutter and setting up your sounds is really easy. It also has a drum machine to practice along with. You can set 3 stomp boxes (whatever you like), and your not limited to just distortion, delay etc. I have not compared this to the Line 6 Amplify FX100, but it is also $100 more.