RP50 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP50

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

The RP-50 is a good pedal for someone Who doesn't have a wad of cash to throw around. I use either my Cruiser (super strat) or my Vantage Avenger (telecastor) with it, I usually use my Peavey Bass amp with it and it sounds great. It is loud when you apply alot of reverb or delay with distortion or phaser. It normally has a controllable volume so you can keep it low or crank it if you want. I can usually get pretty much any sound out of it I want, except with Wah, Tremelo, and Volume swells because you don't have much control over them (they are all set to a pattern, or are affected but your playing). My most desired sound comes from artists such as; Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Stevie Ray, Steve Vai, and Black Sabbath. I find it much harder to achieve the sound of Metallica, Megadeth, and Slayer from my RP-50.

I play all sorts of genres, so I have experience with a large variety of trying different styles with the RP-50. I believe it best suits genres like: Metal, Classical, Jazz, and Rock. Some people might disagree with me but I haven't tried it with genres like Country or Reggae. I have been playing for about 3 years, and I also have a DigiTech Grunge, an Ibanez Delay, and a Dunlop Cry Baby Wah. If it were stolen I would probably buy a new one because I like the RP-50 (it fits with a lot of styles of music I like to play). I love the drum Machine, but I hated that you always had to have the built in equalizer on, because if you didn't need it you could have some pedals stronger than others. I wish it had a foot pedal for more control over the effects. All in all it is a very useful and versatile pedal.

It is a very well built pedal and it lasts long. It's has taken a power surge and a couple tumbles since I got it, but it still works perfectly. I can depend on it except I would keep an extra AV cable around because they can be pulled loose causing it to cut out sometimes. I would bring it to a gig but I would have batteries and an AV cord to use with it.

The RP-50 comes with a lot of pre-programmed pedal combinations that sound great and many tones are achievable with it. The manual is straight forward and easy to read, the only thing I don't particularly like about it is that the contents are hard to navigate with. Mine hasn't been upgraded, it is still stock.