RP50 review by DigiTech

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
DigiTech: RP50

Purchased from: amazon.com

Guitars are a crappy 20 buck eBay special (Ibanez RG copy on the body, but nothing else like Ibanez)with a SSH config and a Fender MIM strat with S/S/S config. The "pickup modelers" do a decent job of pulling hum out of the strat's single coils, without muddying up the sound. The amp modeling is decent too. I use a small Marshall practice amp to jam with just me and my internal 'backing tracks' and I can achieve tones from hard crunch to freeeaky psychadelic (phaser and reverb, too cool with jazz chord progressions). If I had a favorite artist, I would probably be able to get his (or her) sound approximated.

As for style, I'll play anything once. It is versitile enough to grab most popular sounds, and maybe even hash out one of your own. I picked the guitar back up about a year ago after a long haitus. I've had BLS, Seether, Segovia, Vivaldi, Disturbed and Slayer in the CD player this week, and I try to play them all. For the price, hey, get the thing. It won't stand up to rough treatment, so play nice.

Made of plastic. When I'm pretending to be Tom Morello ('specially when Bulls on Parade is rockin') I'd better not jump on it. Too much crunch. But, should hold up to a beginner/intermediate or garage band Status. If you gig, then get serious and get gear made for the stage.

Not too bad to use. The DigiTech website has user posted settings for getting some good sounds out of it. You won't sound exactly like 'Zack Wylde' or 'Jimi Hendrix fuzz' (just a few of the sounds) but you can get close. The unit takes some fooling around to get the full useage, and the controls are not immediately intuitive.

rayq78
    i bought an RP50 a couple of weeks a go. is it really good?? i havent explore it yet.