RP50 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP50

Purchased from: eBay

I am using a Vintage Samick Flash, with decent headphones (if not, a small 15w Silvertone amp). The sound I get on headphones (and recording onto a computer) is clean and crisp, and sounds great. On a good quality amp, an RP50 would sound great. Targeting a particular sound can take a bit of work, so don't expect to be able to sound exactly like Tom Morello or Joe Satriani straight away. All the effects sound good, but leave you wanting a bit more. I didn't use an expression pedal with mine, but controlling the Wah and other effects would be great. One problem that I do have is switching effects. Although 0.5 of a minute doesn't seem like much, it could ruin a gig switching between patches and hearing awful guitar silence.

I mainly play rock, like Joe Satriani, Led Zeppelin and Metallica, but I like to delve into different sounds, such as Steely Dan and Stairway to Heaven. I've been playing for about 4 years, and this is my first pedal. I bought it second hand off eBay, and am very happy with it! If I chose a different product, I think I'd take an RP300. A huge reason I got an RP50 is because of the price. I could of bought two Behringer stomp boxes for the price of this, and you can tell which one I'd prefer. There are some useless things, like the drum feature (which can hardly be heard when playing a song) and the tuner (which wobbles so much you can't tune with it). If they got rid of those features, I think it'd add to it. There is an decent community of RP50 owners that make their own patches, which adds to the use of my RP50 immensely. The only flaws I can find in it are fixed in later models, so for those looking for great effects on a tighter budget, you cannot look past the RP50!

The RP50 has received mixed reviews, but I believe that it's a very dependable unit if you take good care of it. It wouldn't last too long if you stomp on the buttons, which aren't meant to be treated badly. I wouldn't gig without a backup, such as a few stomp boxes. I have never had a single problem with it.

A few people have said that it's hard to program, but I disagree. It can be touchy at times (due to the small buttons, etc.), but I think it's easy to write and put in other peoples patches. The manual is easy to understand, and if you've got a 'guitar tech' background, you'll get everything straight away. You can of course get awful sounds from it, but in about 2 minutes you can create an original, great sound!

tiesco
    I hear that this is what the artist Buckethead uses while playing "Jordan"!
    JakSunPlayr
    It's a great pedal to leave at work with that beater guitar you might have for playing and practicing during lunch thru headphones. Use that more expensive GNX4 for home and gigging thru the AMP and stack.
    JakSunPlayr
    neb_smada90 wrote: Are you sure the RP50 has a built in tuner? Or am I just completely ignorant with my peddle? I've had it for about 3 and 1/2 years. It was just the other day I finally bought a GNX3. Are you talking about the new models? Cause mine might be the old one. None the less, AMAZING peddle for the price and it does last an INCREDIBLY long time.
    Hold down the 2 main buttons until the display reads "Tu"..
    mnhockey99
    Do not gig with any of the RP digitech gear. If you leave your foot on the pedal a 1/2 second too long you could be like 20 effects past where you want to be. NOT fun, I was playing a cover of How you remind me by Nickelback and I was trying to go from distorted to clean and I put too much pressure on the pedal and I ended up doing some autowah effect versus clean, that pretty much killed the song right there! This thing would be better off as a boat anchor, although it's probably not heavy enough for that. Mine is used just for tuning now and that's it. I have the RP200A.
    Gibsum 41
    Cool for practicing but I wouldn't recommend it for a gig. I used it to cover Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Green Day and I had to be switching really often to get on the right effect since it slips down a lot. Still a good purchase for a beginner