RP50 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP50

I'm using it with a strat and a Peavey classic 50. This isn't a very noisy pedal, you have to set it up right. If you have the compressor up all the way, or have a high gain amp model going, you'll get some noise. It does have a noise gate, but it doesn't get rid of the noise while you're playing. The modulation effects are pretty good (chorus, flange, phaser). And they're some cool octave and Whammy settings too. The amp models. Half are good, half are junk. I really dig the stack setting when you have it turned up, real modern sound. The clean settings, at a low level and when plugged into a good amp sound good too, and I've made several high quality recordings with my computer mic and a set of earbuds hooked up the RP50. The Auto-ya effect is pointless. The drum Machine is pretty good too, it's very nice to practice with some drums backing you, it gives you some practice so you know what you're doing when you actually get in a band. But overall, great Sound to price ratio.

I play basically everything, and there's settings that's allow you to play everything. Blackface model for cleans, some of the dirty settings for blues, stack settings for rock, and rectifier model for metal. If it were stolen, I would probably try out one of the bigger models of the RP series. I wish it had more realistic amp models, but for 60 bucks, you're not going to get it. Overall, good price, good tool for practice and recording.

Eh... it's more dependable that people give it credit for. True, it's plastic, but it's reasonably strong plastic. Just don't step on it too hard, or it'll probably break. I wouldn't even gig with this, this is a purely practice tool. Even then, you have to be careful not to step on it too hard.

First off, this isn't a processor for everyone. You need to know how to dial in what you want. When you first get it, you may want to read the m anual through a few times. It does come with a lot of presets, but they're all rubbish, spare maybe 3 or 4. If you want to get any good sounds at all, you have to put in your own presets, where there are some pretty good ones on the DigiTech sound community.

teknotard
    Just to note, after reading a few of the reviews, they do make the Rp50 with an expression pedal for a little more money, you just didnt get it. THis does have a pedal becasue it is ment to be cheap...
    rhcpfan118
    RP 80 is the RP 50 plus a couple more effects and an expression pedal. it's decent, i grew bored of it... decided to buy seperate pedals, keep in mind i got this when i was a beginner and just never upgraded anything. as soon as i got a good amp i got a boss od-3 for 25 bucks, i had a wah to begin with, and i got a russian muff along with my fender fm 212 r it's a great set up... for my style at least. the rp 80 is good, it gets pretty boring kinda fast but for the money the rp 50 is probably worth it.
    Key8Lime8Pie
    My buddy has the RP80 which appears to be the same exact pedal with the edition of an expression pedal. If I am wrong please do not hold it against me. The RP80 is a pretty solid pedal. RP line up from what i have observed (my other buddy has one of the more expensive ones) is a pretty decent. I would recommend them for starting guitarists. especially those who are into the heavier distortions. There is a very cool organ distortion on the RP80 that i like to use at my buddy's place.
    Key8Lime8Pie
    rhcpfan118 wrote: RP 80 is the RP 50 plus a couple more effects and an expression pedal.
    i don't stand alone then. Like I said before. it is decent for starting guitarists looking for some good effects to kind of feel around what styles they like etc. it provides a good variety at a low price.
    pbiggie
    my RP50 tuner is slightly broken as in it thinks E is F and A is Bb and so on. I also find that it does not have a very good clean sound and does not change to a new effect straight away. You are probably better off with single effect pedals
    fleh
    good cheap pedal, sounds a bit artificail but if you want better sound u pay for it- gr8 for beginners as it has just about everythin ud want
    freshtunes
    I had been playing in a well known gigging local band for awhile, and I was just running a Ds-1 into a no name half stack. I picked up the RP50 plugged it in at practice and it just sucked. The worst thing I have ever purchased. Save up the cash by a floor pod, or me50
    muso_ chris
    its so noisy when plugged into a powerful amp! other than that i love it. Perhaps a noise suppressor is in order.