RP50 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP50

I'm using a Dean DBD T (a 2007 model without the gross decal on the V) and a Line6 Spider 3. Yes, very, very low quality, cheap equipment. But the pedal makes my guitar and amp sound very expensive. This pedal's amp models aren't the best, by any means. I mostly use the rectifier for distortion and flat-top Acoustic for clean. If I want to, I can always add some phaser or flange to make the sound even better. I've been able to play almost everything but country with this pedal. I can't get the country sound to come out of it. I mostly play rock and metal, with jazz blues riffs intertwined. The only thing that really bugs me about this pedal is that when you let a chord ring out for a really long time and all you get is this fuzz, which is very annoying. There's no way to get rid of it, and the noise gate doesn't do its justice.

This pedal is wonderful for any beginner who is just learning to expand their sound into something far, far bigger. Though I wish I would have kept the $50 and purchased the RP90 for a little more because of the extra amp models, presets and expression pedal, but this will do until I can buy the RP355. I love how it can hold up and play almost any sound, oh and everyone loves the AutoYa, which is very fun to mess with. I had no prior experience with any other pedals or any other pedal in mind, this is my first pedal. Like I said, great for beginners, works very well and you'll fall in love with it AFTER you figure it out.

So far, the RP50 has held up wonderfully. After being stepped on, kicked, brought back and forth to an unforgiving school for a year and in one incidence, split water on it and it still works. For the record, I don't have the expansion expression pedal. I'm not planning on purchasing it so I can't say how the Control In works. I haven't used it in a real gig before, but I've had to use it for a few jazz concerts and for the school talent show and it held up wonderfully.

The RP50 is by no means, easy to use by just plugging it in and pushing the pedals and looking for the "right" effect. Even after reading the booklet, I had some trouble with it. It takes a good week of tweaking to get use to it. Even wiping out some of the really crappy effects is a must to get use to it if you're new to this stuff. I've had mine for about a year, and I've been tweaking tweaked effects to my preferred playing styles.