RP50 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP50

Purchased from: Signature

I am using it with a Greg Bennett AV3, Washburn, BD2, NUX Compressor and a 15 Watt practice amp.It has in built 9 Noise gates which I wish were Noise suppressors, to eliminate any hum. But it does a decent job.There are 2 Wah's and both of them make you sound like somebody's been shot at! The Amp Modulators give either a Very distorted sound or are very weak. Nothing in between.Compressor has no controls and you have to try out different possibilities.3 Band EQ leaves a lot to be desired.Chorus/Mod is very tricky and you have to sit with the manual to do anything with the inbuilt tones.Reverd is good and usable. I had to download patches from websites to try to emulate Floyd, Knopfler etc. To try them out by yourself is tedious.

I play mostly classic rock, Blues country stuff. The in built patches were mostly useless for my kind of sounds. Editing Patches were a bigger pain. I have considered selling it of at least 20 times in the last 3 years. But I keep it.I am playing for 16 years and this was my first digital multi effects box. Never gonna go for them again.I wish I would have gone for a model with expression control as the Whammy or Wah this box has is rendered useless without it.If lost/or stolen I would regret but never re-buy.I love the thing for the variety of tones it can offer and hate it for the same reason. Sometimes it kills the music.The Reverb and delay works great and I now use it as a Noise Gate and Reverb and delay effects only. My current set up is: GTR->BD2->Compressor->RP50(Reverb, Delay+Noise gate)->Amp.This way I can get the sound I want out of it.I never tried another Multi Effects and don't want to currently.

It is made of Plastic, but sturdy plastic.Both feet switches look solid but the edit buttons are really small and by no means user friendly.But I have been using it for 3 years and there has been no problem I do not GIG with it, neither do I stomp on it. Mostly a light tap does the work and I keep it that way. Considering this I can safely tell you it will last me another 10 years maybe.What else do I want.

It is pretty easy to use considering that there are 2 foot switches to change the programs. Also 40 inbuilt effects that give you an idea what all the small box can deliver.Editing Patches! Thats the tough bit! I have read the manual 15 times over (thankfully they give a manual)and tried to jot down notes to help me then after 2 years I started to get decent sound of my choice out of this thing.AC Adaptor Supplied with set, that was a big plus. The drum Machine comes in handy but upto some levels.

CALiS*TX
    i brought it second hand and great for starter... combine those squier strat california + Vox Pathfinder 15R + RP50 = dammit!! awesome... easy to tweak, create your own effect... my next stop is DigiTech RP150... these Digitech will be my signature effect...
    andre15
    I have mine now for 5 years and the damn thing never let me down....still works perfectly...great pedal for starting play guitar!
    Evergrey
    Digitech ruined the hole current RP line with faulty noise gate wich ruins hole units. U cant use external either and they are refusing to fix it. Google: rp1000 noise gate