RP500 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP500

Purchased from: Hames Music (Local Shop)

I use my RP500 with a 2003 Fender Strat and Fender 212 amp. Sometimes it can tend to be noisy on certain distortion settings, but that can be rectified by the noise gate and compression settings. The effects are awesome. The echo can be set to different speeds from almost immediate to never-ending feedback, the didstortion settings are powerful, and my favorite, the Whammy can be set to drop 2 octaves down or up so many octaves it's just a high-pitch whistle. It also has a lot of other effects like chorus, flanger, panner, reverb, wah-wah, amp effects such as Vox, Fender, Hiwatt, Mesa Boogie, Orange, as well as the cabinets. Overall everything is very impressive about the pedal.

I play a lot of blues and classic rock. But over the past couple years, I've started getting into heavier but rythmic bands like As I Lay Dying and Chevelle. No matter what style I choose to play, this pedal is perfect. It has so many different presets that you can not only use, but edit and change with so many different options that it's almost inevitable to not get the sound you want. I've been playing for over 6 years. I've owned an Epiphone Les Paul Studio, an Epiphone Les Paul Double Cutaway, a Fender Strat, Fender 212 amp, Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah, DigiTech RP80, DigiTech RP250, DigiTech Jimi Hendrix Expression, and now a DigiTech RP500. So far, comparing it to the other two RP models that I own, this is by far the best one yet. I chose it because after playing on the RP250 I fell in love with it. Then, the RP500 came out and I knew I had to get it. Sure enough, I was not dissapointed. It's a must-own far any style of playing!

I use my RP500 everytime I'm on stage. Infact, the stompboxes were added to the pedal just for that purpose. And it's really durable because it has 9 vacuum style switches and a cast metal chassis, although it's a bit heavier than other RP models. A large 10 character LED display makes for easy stage use topped by an built-in expression pedal to control wahs, volume, Whammy and other parameters.

Unlike previous RP Models, the RP500 has 5 stomboxes on the pedalboard that let you Switch different presets a lot easier. The Amp/Cabinet Bypass button turns off the internal amplifiers and cabinets so you only have stompboxes and effects. I find it very easy to use and it's a lot more versatile than other RP models.

Tatakai!
    Is there a tuner on it, like on the Boss ME-50 so that the sound cuts out when you're tuning? I'm thinking of getting it (when I have the money) and it would be useful.
    germanbred
    yes there is a tuner that does exactly what you want. Cuts out the sound when you want to tune.
    germanbred
    hey travesty...that's just what I was asking. if I find out I'll post it on here...I was hoping someone on here would know how to do that. I know I can do it on my Korg with no problems. Like I'm playing a song with one sound, and then I can get the next sound ready, and when I need it - I just step on the pedal again and there it is. I'm hopin this rp does it.