RP55 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP55

Purchased from: local store

you can get some pretty desent tones out of this little box IF... You work with it, the recitifer is a good but you really have to play with the EQ to get nice sound, the british stack is one of the nicest patches, its got a real nice clean sound add a little chorus but don`t overdo it. Really the key to getting a good sound and tone out of this is taking your time to tweak your own patches, and don`t over do it with effects. If you have crappy pickups or a buggy amp don`t expect this little box to be a magic cure. The default factory patches really are crap. The 3 band eq is ok, not great but hey its only 50bucks, don`t expect an ADA MP1. The drum Machine really only has a handfull of usefull patches, the most useful is patch 31. Yes there is a patch 31 which is a click track/metronome, it can only be set up to 100bpm, but if you know how to use a metronome this is really not much of a problem.

been playing just about everything from hanksnow to Yngwie for over 30 years, teach a little off and on, sometimes I use this for lessons. What I like about the RP55 is the price, I got a few little small multi effects and is is the best in its price range. Wish the drum patterns were better, its almost like they had a monkey chose those patches.

I would stay away from using batterys with this unit, stick only to a adapter, I think that's where most of the problems arise with this unit, it does need a GOOD STEADY voltage to sound good. again this is best used as a bedroom practice tool, toss on some decent headphones and have fun with it, if it sounds like crap, change headphones, amp or play with the editing, but you can make this 50buck box sound good IF you work at it.

This unit is pretty easy to use, you really don`t have to look at the manual, but it does help. Editing patches is easy once you get used to scroll though the LEDs using the buttons. The drum Machine is a bit of a pain... (I think monkeys chose the patches). #31 on the drum Machine is a the best part of this box.

Knutrh
    I bought this one a week ago or so, for my 15w amp, and I was really surprised by it, compared to the price. It's easy to use, and the sound quality is great for my purpose.
    engineno9
    Just bought this today, and for $50 I thought it was quite the bargain. I was playing with my buddy through some "acoustic" brand ss amp, me through this and him through a pod x3, and comparably my tone was lacking, I'd say it was pretty thin really, but for $50 it doesn't really matter. Maybe with some tweeking it would have been better but I was short on time and just wanted to jam. I only really bought this to play around with and try out a bunch of different effects and for $50 its totally worth it.
    anus$Agape
    One thing that no one here has mentioned is the latency. What I mean is, there is a very noticeable delay from when you strike the strings, to when you hear the sound through the RP55. This was using an AC adapter and $30 headphones direct from the unit. To me, this latency makes it very painful for me to put up with this unit. In addition, the sounds out of the RP55 do not sound "hot", but rather heavily compressed. Try to do a pick scratch on a so called hot patch and it is barely audible.