RP55 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP55

Purchased from: Local music store

Amp modelling: The British Stack is a great emulation of the real thing. High Gain tube emulation is exceptional. Others are quite true to the intended amp. Cabinet modelling: Didn't try: whatever the default one is, it is quite satisfactory. Effects: Nice set, quite customizable. You can configure them to your hearts desire. Noise gate: I find it too aggressive and have turned it off for most of my configurations. I mostly use my Ibanez GRGA11 with it, the humbuckers on the guitar work good enough. The few configurations that have the noise gate turned on are for my Squier Strat. Drums: I used to plug in an old Ibanez RU10 (very nice tuner, bad drums and a horrible pocket amp) into the amp for the drums. After trying the drums on this one for a while, I still go back to the RU10 for rock drums. This one sounds good but I don't like the patches.

I play a lot of genres though I rarely try match the original artist's sound exactly. I normally play through a Roland Cube Street amp. I've bought this as a desktop all-in-one amp for practicing on my own. I used the software "rakarrack" on my computer in this capacity before but I was not satisfied with it. If this got destroyed, lost or stolen I'd buy one again. I wish it had a footswitch for starting and stopping the drums. Plus, a jog control would have been more usable than the increment/decrement buttons for setting values.

It's built quite sturdily, and has a metal base. The footswitches are pretty good. Looks like it was built to last. Don't know about how fast it goes through the 6 AA batteries it requires, but I use it with a power adapter. The provided power adapter lacks the build quality of the device itself and warms up quite quickly. I bought a good adapter with the same specs. I'm not sure I'd use it for a gig. It's not a replacement for effects equipment as it also does amp and cabinet emulation. If I did use it in a gig, I would probably not need a backup.

The device has a very nice set of effects but whoever configured the presets probably never played the guitar. Almost all of the 80 built-in preset effects are pretty useless, some are outright stupid. Fortunately, editing a preset is very easy and straightforward. A third footswitch to start and stop the drum Machine (it's a button, you can't operate it with your foot) would have enhanced the use of this device enormously. I use this with headphones as a portable amp, too. It sounds great, and the combined volume control (the overall volume, the volume for the emulated amp and the volume for drums) is very versatile. The two footswitches operate flawlessly, albeit without physical feed-back. When in tuner mode, the output is suppressed, so you have to rely on the leds alone.

its_minchew
    not a fan. The zoom pedals at this price range are much better. Also have better distortion tones
    Pauls73
    ...good shit, I gave away 20 EUR but I'm having one problem, how can I disable CAB modelings when connecting to the tube amp that already has CAB,as I get from manual I dropped everything to factory settings and then CAB simulators is disabled but from box the CAB simulator are off,there's nice explanation of procedure how to enable CAB's but how to do the opposite way,not a word ,so I asumed just to drop everything to factory settings which is pretty ridicilous,please help ...anyone(if anyone gets my point)...? Pauls from Latvia...
    Evergrey
    Digitech ruined the hole current RP line with faulty noise gate wich ruins hole units. U cant use external either and they are refusing to fix it. Google: RP1000 noise gate
    cullen.lamb.1
    I just got it and have no idea how to get it to go into the settings, all it says is rp55.
    FrauVfromPoB
    I bought one of these because none of the jazzy amps at my school have decent overdrive channels. I am in no way an obsessive tone hound, so it sounds serviceable to me. It took a lot of screwing around, but I did eventually get a nice meaty rhythm tone. I have an OD pedal that I use to boost it for leads, because I could never get a suitable lead tone. I would gig with this, but only because I play dive bars and basement punk shows. It's more than good enough for those, but it's nowhere near pro-tier. It sounds decent enough for recording demos, but nothing more. It's only $50, so it doesn't feel like a waste. If you're seriously considering buying, go for it. You'll probably like it, because I doubt anyone who bothers to check out multi-effects boxes cares taht much about their tone.