RP80 review by DigiTech

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
DigiTech: RP80

Purchased from: Music123.com

In my setup, I use a 7 string Washburn, hooked to the DigiTech, then Line 6 Distortion, then a Flanger Pedal to my Crate Performance Amp. If your using presets, you can not route thrugh another pedal first or you will get horrible sound. But otherwise, it's decent. about 10 of the presets are pretty good, the rest lame. So get ready to get on your knees programming it. The wah sucks, and he main deciding factor for me was the Whammy pedal ($200 value), but the expression pedal is very small(I have size 13 feet, so maybe not for you.) So if your willing to spend some time programming it, it's pretty good.

I play heavy metal and some old school rock. I've been playing for about 4 years and it just doesn't fit the bill for me, but for you it might. I would not buy another, but I recommend their floorboard sets, they're pretty good. It's great for playin around, but not much else. With my Ibanez, I couldn't get it to sound right(Don't know if it was me). If it had an option to change the order, it would be awesome. Love, peace and chicken grease-I'm out.

Though it is very solid and sturdy, I would not use this during a gig or even a practice session. As I said earlier-it's only good for toying around with effects.

Ok, if your a beginner at guitar who just wants to mess around with effects, the layout is very easy to get what you want. But if you plan on using this for a gig, good luck. The RP80 has 40 different presets. Two of each. If you want, you can change one of them, but not the order. So you must scroll through 40 effects presets to find yours. Even if your just playing around, it can be very frustrating. Editing is pretty simple, and the manual is very detailed and easy to understand. Now getting a good sound is another issue. Most effects will sound the same as others, while some are horrible in a chain. Once again, for a beginner, great. Otherwise, think again.