RP80 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP80

My guitar goes into a dist pedal>digitech>Fender Amp. I use an ESP M100FM with EMG active 81s. The processor produces some noise which I deslike but its not that big a trouble. Some patches that I found on the website are pretty decent. Like the Slash's Crybaby Wah and Kirks Wah although they are not accurate, they will do if you don't have the cash for those expensive pedals pros use. All in all, it's pretty decent, I played Enter Sandman with it and to the untrained there wasn't much of a difference (I could tell the difference but anyway.)

The best thing about this processor is the expression pedal. It can work for volume swell, 3 different kinds of wah, amp gain-choros-compressor mod etc which gives a lot of flexibility. Also, I don't have the space in my dorm room nor do I have the money to have extravagant setups like pros do, so this works for me for now. Although I'm thinking about a better pedal such as GFX series, or Korg AX series.

This looks durable but I don't think anybody in their right mind would think about taking this to a gig. First off, the pedal is small and is kinda loose. I have size 13 feet and I can't feel the pedal when I wear my shoes. Also, most of the time I manage to hit the preset buttons and the presets fly away (yes, if you press and hold, the presets can go from 1 to 80 in about 2 seconds) which means I have to carefully bring it back to the preset I want. But the hardware looks like it can take a beating.

It's a decent effects processor for the price you pay. Comes with whole bunch of effects and an expression pedal, which was my motivation behind buying this. Patch editing is easy, manual explains everything and it comes with 80 presets (40 actually, they repeat). The sound is pretty decent for beginners to intermediate but if you want to gig with it or if you're looking for a specific tone, I wouldn't suggest this.