RP80 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP80

Purchased from: Wentworth Music Store

There is a wide variety of sounds you can get with it. I use like an old Kramer XL 2 and some Univox amp that is equally old, and I can get some pretty cool sounds. I can get sounds similar to Eddie Van Halen, James Hetfield and many others. Although, if you are using one of the many amp models, your amp doesn't make much f a difference, but I usually play using my own amps sound. The effects are all pretty good, except I was a little dissappointed in the wah wah effect (envelope) but I love the phaser and flanger on it, and the noise gate is great. You can make your sound fade in, and it has I think three kinds of delay and wah wah on it, and a bunch of other effects. Great for begginners. Also, I love the distortion. The big pedal on the side regulates the amount of effect used and the volume, which would come in handy, but it depends what you play. But there are better pedals out there, but this is cheap, and I personally love the sounds.

I play so many styles of music, except for country, cause it's annoying. I love Van Halen, they are my favorite band. I can get a very similar sound to Eruption and lots of other songs. I would definately never play classical or flamenco on this baby (or even on an electric guitar) but who the hell would, unless you like Santana, which I do, but I don't play his stuff. For metal, there are so many flippin pedals out there, there are bound to be dozens better, but like I said earlier, I can get a pretty good James Hetfield sound goin, so it aint too bad. I have been playing for about a year and four months now, and you probably think I'm a begginner, but you haven't heard me play, so you can't classify me, but I don't even care, so I'll just shutup. I also own some weird distortion pedal, made by a company called aries, but I really don't care what equipment I have, I just really wanted a multi effect that could spring a few effects, and I did. I just love to play. I would probably buy this again, unless I had enough money to get some crazy highly acclaimed multieffect. But even then, I would probably want to save money, and buy this one again. I like pretty well everything on it, except for the size of the stupid effect changing knobs. I'm also not too fond of the drum Machine thing either, but I guess it's there if you want to use it, and are short of a drummer. I just the love the phaser and flanger effects. Thats probably my favorite. That and the distortion. So, if you are begginner, low on cash, and are lookin to get yourself a cool multieffect, buy this one. It rocks.

This thing is very durable (and light). I have dropped it and done other crazy things to it numerous times, and it is strong as hell. Would I use it at a gig? Well personally, I have already twice (although the second one sucked, that wasn't the pedals fault), and I don't find it to bad. The only the I really don't like is those freakin effect switchin things are so small. But I can manage, cause I aint picky, but most of you seem like you are, so I guess it would be up to you to decide that.

This is by far, one of the easiest multi effect pedals to use. Although it comes with a manual, it isn't even necessary (except maybe if you want to clear data on your pedal or something). I just used it to see all of the available effects and what they do on my way home when I was in the car. Although there are upgrades out there, for the price paid, it's worth it.