RP80 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP80

Purchased from: A local shop

I'm using a crappy Peavey Blazer w/reverb amp. I run a Squier Telecaster through it. Not the best equipment I know, but this pedal does wonders for the sound! It was impossible for me to get a distortion pedal to work with my telecaster, because of the single coil feedback. I had tried the DigiTech Grunge and Death Metal pedal, neither worked, just sent out horrible horrible feedback that made me wanna shut the amp off and just put the guitar away. Well for some reason, the distortion of this pedal works just fine without any feedback. I can't explain why, might be the noisegates. It's not noisy at all when you're not playing, however some of the effects can give a little bit of hum when you're using them. If you mess around with your amp settings enough though, you can usually pretty much get rid of the hum. Some of the effects are weak, and I don't like how you have to cycle through the effects, but I guess there wasn't really any other way to make it. Distortion is definetely my favorite. It comes with 40 built in effects, and then you can create 40 more of your own.

I play blues and metal. Some classic rock in there too. I've been playing for about seven months. As I said I also own a Squier Telecaster, a Peavey Blaze w/reverb. I also own a Drive Strat copy and an Ibanez Phaser. I don't like the phaser to much. I want to try my Strat copy out with my amp, but haven't yet gotten a chance to, as it is broken. I tried it out for about ten minutes, because the store was closing, and after cycling through the first eight effects, I was in love. I couldn't wait to get this thing home. If it were lost or stolen, I would file a police report, and contact DigiTech. I believe they have some kind of policy on replacing stuff under that condition, though I am not sure. I would definetely want this pedal back though. I don't really hate anything about it, except for the fact that some of the effects are weak, but I mainly use this for distortion. I definetely recomend this to anyone who plays classic rock, the blues, or metal. I can get a good crunch sound for blues. Then a crunchy bright sound for my classic rock, or a deeper sound. Then I can get full out distortion for my metal. Overall, great pedal. I can't believe it works so well with my single coils!

I depend on it. I've dropped it twice, neither time, did it crack nor blemish. It didn't effect the sound either. I would use it on a gig without a backup, well maybe not, because I am very paranoid and wouldn't want to ruin a show because my pedal's not working. However I don't see any chance of it not being dependable. I just wouldn't gig without a backup on anything.

It's very easy to get a good sound out of this little gem. Rather it be distortion, you're after (I know there's at least 5 good distortions on this) or just an effect like wah. Or maybe you want some reverb, there's plenty of different types of reverbs built into this. The manual is very helpful, could probaly only be more helpful if it gave a brief history behind each amp model, but that would take a lot of paper. It's also very easy to edit effects on here. I've made about 4 or 5 of my own, which sound very nice.