RP80 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP80

Purchased from: The Arts

This device is not noisy. Even on the hi gain settings, you can use the noise gate or compressor to quiet it down. Presets are weak. The amp modelling is very good, though. You can get a good gritty distortion, a good lead tone, and a nice Brit tone, but you have to sit down and fiddle with it for a while. Chorus is great. The chorus, flange, phase etc. are very strong. The distortion takes a while to get good. The harmonizer effect and the acoustic simulation are ok, but not great.

This can suit all styles of music, but like I said, you have to sit down and fiddle with it to get it good. I wasnt there for the initial purchasing (Christmas present), but I probably would have just prefered a chorus pedal. The only thing I really use this for is chorus and acoustic simulation. Since my amp has no reverb, I use it for reverb, but it's just not the same as spring reverb. I wish it had better distortion and a completley metal construction, so it can be gig-able.

I can depend on this if its sitting on my floor at home. The bottom is metal, but the construction is mainly plastic. I havent broken anything in 4 months of having it but I would gig with it. At all. It doesn't sound good enough or is sturdy enough to withstand even a 30 min set.

This looks pretty intimidating at first. Getting a good sound out of it is not very easy, if you're not using a preset. The presets are ok, but nothing special. But if you use them, its just a matter of turning it one, and putting a number in. The manual is very good. It covers everything you need to know.