RP80 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP80

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

I use this pedal with a Mexican Strat (singlecoil) through this, a Boss CH-1 Chorus, and a CryBaby, to a Roland Cube-15. I gig with this setup often. One thing you notice is even with the noise gate on 9, there is a hiss as a note dies away on "rectified" mode. Otherwise it is good. I can get an OK Metallica sound out of this, but you can get an excellent Green Day sound out of this unit. The effects are all fair, with exceptions. I think the pickup modeler, phaser, pitch shifter, and rotary speaker are all above average effects. The chorus is almost as good as my Boss CH-1. This unit puts out an insane amount of volume.

I play metal and hard rock, and it does it's job. It might work a bit better for punk or un-hard rock. I have been playing for about 2 years, and I own a Mexican Strat, a Roland Cube-15, this, a Boss CH-1, a CryBaby, and a Dano Flanger that I'm selling. If this was stolen, I would have to say I'd buy the RP100. It has no expression pedal (which I don't use) and has knobs for parameter controls. I love the tuner and drum Machine. I hate that its so small. It is hard to hit just one button. When buying, I compared to the Berhinger X-Vamp, and it seemed this was better. But now I regret buying the one with the expression pedal. I wish it had more flexible distortion.

It is fairly dependable, though made of plastic. I have gigged with it twice with no backup and no problems.

This is a fairly good beginning processor. It is easy enough to get good sounds out of it, and editing presets is easy. The manual is very clear, and includes a list of the 40 presets. My unit is stock and I can get pretty good sounds out of it still. I just wish it had knobs.