RP80 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP80

Purchased from: Local Shop

I use a Squier Strat. The amp is very basic practice amp, Fender too. Some of the presets it is hard to tell the difference. But I have been able to tweak some of the pre-sets to duplicate sounds. I can get pretty close to some artist's songs (like Neil Young's "Hey Hey My My" on Rust Never Sleeps and Pink Floyd's "Sorrow," the beginning portion).

I like to play Pink Floyd stuff alot. I have found some of the effects, I think, that match pretty close to their sound (Gilmour). Though I have not been playing all that long and I have had the RP80 only for a couple of months, I like that you can come pretty close to a sound of your choosing. If this were stolen, I probably would buy it again. For the money, this is a good deal (even if your are just jamming in your basement). I bought this one because it was at the local shop set up, so I was able to play around with it before I bought it and it is affordable.

The unit seems pretty sturdy. I haven't had it all that long. Not sure if I would play it in a gig, unless you can have all of your setups right next to each other (i.e. 1 through 5 have all of your effects you use in a gig). I have not had any trouble with it at all. I bet it would work ok on a small gig (not sure for a elaborate production).

I am fairly new to playing, but I thought this was a nice addition to get pretty good sound at a low price. The manual that came with the unit is pretty good, it gets you familiar with the product. I would have liked more info on editing the the presets. Examples would have been great (i.e. Dire Straits - Money For Nothing). I guess as I keep on using it, the better I will get at getting that "sound." Though, it was very easy to get started with it.