RP80 review by DigiTech

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
DigiTech: RP80

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

My set up was the RP-80 with a Boss distortion pedal and a Fender amp. At the time the sounds I was using were just awesome. Example, chorus, reverb and delay. Where the RP-80 really lacked was with the distortion. You got a distortion but a very shitty one. Like it was so hard to match the distortion tone of lets say Mettalica. The power chords Mettalica uses were so hard to match with the RP-80 becuase you had always equip some expresion to it or reverb to make it sound out, which was a huge downfall for me. Another error or downfall on this Machine was the wah wah. You could never really just get pure wah, it had to like wah, reverb or wah, chorus. That was also a downfall. The sound it self as a whole was clean and crisp, no feed back what so ever, at least not as bad as my distortion pedal, which sounded like breaking glass. But I feel that the RP-80 had such a potential for the distortion types of mettalica, marilyn manson, mega death, but it didnt, which sucked.

The RP-80 as a whole is a fine Machine. Excellent for beginners and new tryers. I do not reccomend this Machine to intermidate and advance guitar players. It just can not keep up with the demand of sound options and functions needed to play metal and old rock. Just no distortion for those heart throbing pure metal riffs and no wah capalbities for soloing. I have been playing now just almost a year, and I don't know much. I do know that this Machine does not have what I want and need. I play heavy metal (mettalica, cradle of filth and lamb of god) and some older rock (Van Halen, Iron Maiden and AC/DC) I also love playing scales, so maybe some blues. If it were stolen I would definetly replace it with my baby now, the ME-50. I hate that the RP-80 failed in delivering the distortion I need and the wah. Compared the ME-50 its obsolete, rotten dust. My faveourite feature would be the chorus, kause it just offers a wide variety. If you are wondering, I still do at times use the RP-80 but the softer sound for playing One by Mettalica but eventually I need the distortion which I kind of a reality when you buy the RP-80. You can go with the softer modulations but eventually you'll need the distortion.

No I wouldn't use it at a gig. Just for the soul reason that it is hard to make a decent distortion sound. In terms of durability hell yes. I've dropped this puppy, stepped on it and it still holds out for me.

This device was my second pedal. I had been playing for about 4 or 5 months when I got it. Right away I was able to configure and start playing it. The sound to me was amazing, I really liked the flanger and chorus, but have in mind I had never heard such sound. The device was really easy to use and get around with. With a built in drum Machine I could record some riffs on my computer and put in some drumming so that was pretty cool. My firt actual song I played with a drummer, bassist and vocalist wa Sweeat Dreams by Marilyn Manson, which was about a week after I got it. So in a weeks time I learned how to operate it. Which is pretty good.