RP80 review by DigiTech

• Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
DigiTech: RP80

Purchased from: Spalding Music Store

Its got some great presets (clear channels mainly. Reverb, delay and the chorus/modulation effects are pretty damn good considering the price). It also has some bad ones (the pickup modulation is awful. Sounds patchy at best). The compression is weak too, a limited 15 settings for it. As purpose, the best feature is the built-in noisegate. These are priceless if you work them correctly. With some great settings (1-8 in strength and cutoff) its easily adjustable. The downside, is that there is not one descent distortion level. It's clunky and fuzzy on its best setting, with no definition or rigidness if your a fast palm muting riffer. The amp modulations (while pretty good) only sound good at a billion dbells. I won't be using this for its heavy sound or distortion. So you'll need to be buying an additional pedal just for that. Now for a multi-modulation guitar accompanyment, you expect it to have everything. With me being a metal player, the lack of a descent distortion just plain annoyed me.

Overall, for the clear effects and tones it produces some amazing proffesional sound quality sounds. I adore a lot of the settings I've created from the ammount of effects it offers, although the lack of a descent distortion (which should be a bloody well main function) is really downsetting for what might have been the perfect introduction into multi FX. Unfortunately, its back to the drawing board for me. I am still going to refer back to my Zoom 505 for my distortion, because it's crunchy, rigid and forever lasting in quality. Outdated, but after I bought the new DigiTech RP80 I was seriously dissappointed that I couldnt dial in my heavy-distortion sound anywhere near to what I currently have. Great for classic sounds, arpeggio picking and ambient fxed riffs. But for heavy stuff, stick with Zoom or Line 6.

It's pretty sturdy, although the expression pedal doesn't seem to have much leeway. I certainly wouldn't rely on the RP80 and the RP80 alone during a gig. It's tough to land on your right setting bank if your scanning through certain settings. So if you use more than one bank per song, your going to be tap-dancing your banks while you should be leaping around like a maniac.

Pretty basic use, didn't take me long to get aquainted with most of the functions. The instruction booklet (God damn, he read it) was easy to follow and has some good descriptions for what it can do for you. The Expression pedal was a little different to link up, but once you figure it out its easy to have at your control. Over all a pretty basic layout has you finding your experimental tones easily enough although as stated in previous reviews, the volume becomes a struggle as there are two settings for it. One volume for each bank port and another overall volume setting. So you need to balance two which is a bit unecessary.