RP80 review by DigiTech

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
DigiTech: RP80

Purchased from: Bandland

I use the RP80 with a Squier Showmaster guitar and a Fender Frontman 15R amp. The effects volume is not a problem because there are loads of different volume controls available to me. The original 40 presets are pretty good quality but getting that artist sound just right is extremely tricky. I've been trying to get a good Red Hot Chili Peppers sound since I got the RP80 but I can't if anybody knows how to please e-mail me. The wah effect is good but it can't be used in conjuction with the pickup simulator because the pedal just won't let you. It's annoying when trying to recreate a Hendrix sound with humbuckers when you can't simulate pickups and use wah. The expression pedal is pretty responsive, if a bit well light, but it does it's job and modulates the sound. Overall the sound is good and I think it matches the more expensive pedals on effect quality.

I've had the RP80 just over a month now and have found it could for using in the bedroom just to play around with guitar effects. I bought because it's cheap and for a first effects pedal it's pretty good. I did compare it to other pedals but they were just too expensive. I wish it had easier controls and dials to put in your tone, a bigger readout would be nice too, but I suppose for the money there isn't anything much better. If it were stolen I'd save up and buy another pedal maybe not the same one because I'd make sure I had more money to spend. If somebody tried to steal it and I caught them in the act I'd throw something big and heavy at their head!

The RP80 is made of plastic on the top (not strong enough) but metal on the bottom so it makes up for it. The expression pedal is thin and flimsy I really wanted a big solid pedal that my whole foot would fit on. I wouldn't take the RP80 to a gig because it just couldn't handle it not that it would break but just that it's too fiddly for use on stage. Overall a bit flimsy but it's quite well put together just not made out of good stuff.

The RP80 is a multi-effects pedal with a built-in expression pedal on the side. It's all digital so you have to go through menus and digits to change your sound. The display is annoying because it's only 2 digits so everything is abbreviated but things are shortened to really weird things e.g. auto panner is abbreviated to (n). The manual pretty much explains everything you need to know like how to edit effects and swap between them and it's not too hard to understand. There are 40 user and 40 factory presets but they're intially just copies of each other until you edit them. It's annoying because the footswitches only let you go up or down one effect at a time so if you want to switch effects during a song you have to stop playing until you get to the desired effect preset number. Each preset has a number 1-80 so if you start a song at preset 11 and need to switch to preset 52 you need to either hold the footswitch down until you get to preset 52 or press the footswitch 41 times which gets kinda annoying. I don't think there are ay firmware updates for the RP80 but if there are would somebody please e-mail me about them, preferably UK updates. Overall it's alright to use for playing by yourself but for a gig it's a bit complicated to use on stage and too fiddly.