RP80 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP80

Purchased from: Uptown Music

I run through the pedal straight to an amp. I use a Jackson JS-20 (Whammy bar, single-single-humbucker). I use the RP80 with a 32W Fender amp or a 42W Ibanez amp. I usually play with the gain all the way up. But if I run through the RP80, there is an overbearing hissing noise. None of the noise gates worked. The first time this happened I brought it back to the store and they said something was wrong with it and set me up with a new one. But the exact same thing happens. So I have to play at about 4-5 level gain. The effects sound pretty good, but listening to it sounds so digital. One of the major reasons I bought it was the wah. It has 3 different wahs. While distinctly different, they were pretty weak. It has many other effects though. When using the expression pedal, it seems almost like it's either on or off.

I play '70s/'80s rock - distortion, Whammy, solos, etc. This would be a good match for a beginner of any genre. If mine were lost or stolen, I'd probably wait a while, then there's a 50/50 chance I'd buy this one. I hate the quality of the sound if using distortion. Overall though, beginners should Pick this up. It has more effects than you'll probably use for a pretty low price.

I've had it for about six months, and it's pretty durable. It's small (so is the pedal your foot won't fit) so nothing's going to break off. If it was an important gig, I probably would rather play straight through the amp.

The RP 80 is very easy to understand and use. It comes with 40 preset effects and 40 slots for you to build your own, which is more than enough. The only reason you need the manual is because all of the effects are abbreviated on the 2 letter screen. Some things you would never guess what it was if you didn't look at the manual. It can't have patches or be upgraded. It has a drum Machine too, but it doesn't go by beats per minute so it's hard to find a rhythm.