RP80 review by DigiTech

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
DigiTech: RP80

Purchased from: Misicstop

I use 3 guitars: a Peavey JF-1 EXP (main axe), an Ibanez EX170 modded with Carvin H22 p'ups, and an Epiphone Les Paul Peewee for travelling. I have a Crate GTX-65 DSP amp, a crappy little 25 watt Yamaha AR-2500 and a battery/ac powered Epiphone Studio Mini. On the first use of the RP 80 I thought some of the settings were noisy, but then discovered that the noise gate (included) is quite adequate for the job. I don't think any of the effects are weak, but I would have liked a bit more spacious rotary speaker effect (BIG Leslie speaker fan, me) and I would have like to have a ring-modulator. My favourite players are David Gilmour, Mike Oldfield, Robert Fripp, Andy Summers, Phil Manzanera, Adrian Belew, Al DiMeola, you get my drift. I don't care for heavy metal very much (there, I said it), so I guess I stand somewhat alone in this crowd of Iron Maiden emulators. By the way, I love the whammy effect and feel unbelievably lucky that it was included in the RP80.

I play classic rock, some surf and hot-rod stuff to please others and I experiment to please myself. This pedal is definitely a good match for the music I play almost from a to z. I've played on-and-off for 42 years (more off than on, unfortunately), I also have a Dunlop Original Crybaby, a Boss CS-3 Compressor/Sustainer and a Boss PW10 V-Wah, which is a pretty cool pedal, but the subject of another post when I get around to it.

As far as dependability, I just got it a few days ago and have never gigged with it. The comments of others Who have seem to speak of it's durability. DigiTech is a good name, I think I'd trust it. Plastics today are different than they used to be, and some are tough as nails. Kevlar is a plastic, but so is margarine.

This little gem rocks! I makes sounds I never thought I'd get. I found it easy to get good sounds right out of the box, and after reading some of the manual easy, although a bit detailed, to edit the 40 user patches. The neat part is that any of the patches (1 - 40) can be custom tailored any way you want. I haven't discovered anything that is truly difficult yet. Some of the earlier posts carp about the distortion settings being crappy, but, where's the problem? Distortion is supposed to sound crappy, dude!