RP80 review by DigiTech

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
DigiTech: RP80

Purchased from: backsalleymusic.com

I am using a Les Paul copy guitar with a large keyboard amp. I found that a keyboard amp is the best way to use the RP80 as it doesnt't add or take away from the pedals sound (like my Marshall did). I have been listening a lot to Gary Moore lately, and have found that setting 11 with the expression pedal in the toe up possition was a good match, although not exact. A little playing about with it and I'm sure I'll get it how I want. It being my first pedal, I have been pleased with the sounds it can produce and don't feel I am limited by it. I like the acoustic sounds I can get.

I play rock and blues. The sounds I can get from the RP80 are good enough for my use. I've been playing for about 12 years and this was my forst pedal. I've since bought a Danelectro Overdrive pedal which I can use in conjustion with the RP80. If it were lost or stolen, I would spend a little more money and go for the next modal up from the RP80. I went for the RP80 because it was the only multi effects pedal within my budget. I asked the shop assistant to demo it for me so I could see what it could do. My favourite feature is the expression pedal, although the amp modaling is great too. there's just so much that this little box can do!

I have read that others have had problems with the expression pedal not working. I also had this problem, but I found that page 25 in the manual explains how to recallibrate the expression pedal, and it's working fine again. I have used it in a public situation and it held up just fine, but I'm not sure how it would do in a sweaty gig being stomped on. Also, I would have thought that a metal expression pedal would be a lot stronger. The plastic pedal seems a little weak. However, I've had no problems with it so far.

The RP80 has 40 presets to play with which are very easy to navigate through. I did have problems with figuring out how to do my own presets (but this may be due to me never having had a guitar pedal before)so I simply refered to the manual. I found that most of the presets were set to low. And if I didn't strike a string hard enough, that the RP80 wouldn't hear it. The only other gripe I have is that it sometimes takes away from my sustain by cutting the sound on a note to early.