RP80 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP80

Purchased from: Music Center

I have a 120W Crate GTX212, but I don't use this pedal with it. When I first started out, I was using it with my Guitar Research VL-20, so you can't blame me for wanting to get an effect pedal. This pedal makes my GR pale in comparison when it comes to quality of sound, but my Crate can handle itself on it's own. The noisegate can either be your best friend or worst enemy. It tends to close too soon and cut off any hope of having a fade-out effect. I can't stand Preset-40. It is way too noisy, and you have no control of it. Like I said earlier, the Wah is pretty good. Some distortion effects are good, others, not so much. You can get a good grunge sound out of this, much like old school Weezer and maybe a little bit of Soundgarden.

I mainly play pop-punk with my band, and I also play in a metal band. I do still play blues and soft music when I get the chance, so my musical taste is well-varied. I have been playing about 2 years. I played with the GR VL-20 and a Squier Telecaster Custom II (only Squier I would gig with) for a while until I got a Crate GTX212. I do wish I had actually used this before I bought it, but I was too ignorant back then to even care. I would not buy this again if it was misplaced. I love it's simplicity, hate it's sound (for the most part) and I love the Wah effect. I do wish it doubled up as a recording program, though. But that's asking a bit too much for 90 bucks.

I could definitely depend on this. It's durable, and I haven't encountered any technical difficulties. Despite it's flimsy appearance, this thing can stand up to a beating. I've never gigged this, mainly because I don't use effects that much. I would still bring a back-up, just in case. Always bring back-ups to gigs.

This pedal is decent, for the price. The Wah effect has always given me a satisfactory sound and some distortion effects are pretty good. I was disappointed with the flanger, though. If you try to make your own effects, good luck getting it to sound good. The presets are pretty much your best bets. I didn't use the manual. It was easy to figure out how to work this thing without it.

ozzyant31
    bought it for about 260 turkish liras great sound but id get a boss distortion overdrive pedal cuz the ds i crap in it wah efect realy good cry wah very good but after all its a cheap pedal get a boss gt 8 if ur realy in 2 it