RP80 review by DigiTech

DigiTech: RP80

My setup is a Laney 65 watt amp, and either a strat with single coils, or an SG with humbuckers. I find that since they were able to fit more effects into one unit, the quality of each one goes down. I usually just use this for the Whammy and wah effects and have it fed into my Line 6 uber metal, then into my amp. Unfortunately, it does lose a bit of tone. I love using the Whammy pedal though, and it works great.

I play various types of rock and metal, and I find that this pedal helps a bit. I've been playing for about a year and a half now, and this is one of my primary effects. I bought this pedal around the time I was starting out, so I could try out different things and find something that suited my tastes. If this was ever lost or stolen, I'd most likely buy a new one; it's not that expensive for what you get. I don't like the fact that it loses tone, and that the distortion setting is too low. I wish that the quality of each setting was a bit better, as that would help everyone a lot more.

This unit is pretty sturdy, but I wouldn't take the chance of doing a gig without a spare. It doesn't seem like it would break just sitting around, but if you're unlucky, something could happen to the foot pedal itself. I think that if you were going to use this at a gig, you should play it safe and brind a backup.

This pedal is relatively easy to use. It comes with 40 presets, and then you have the opportunity to go into each preset and customize it to your likings. The manual does explain things pretty clearly, but it took me a couple read throughs to completely understand this pedal.