RP80 review by DigiTech

• Reviewer's score: 5.5 Decent
DigiTech: RP80

I use an Ibanez GRX20 and a 50 watt Marshall. It works pretty well with both of them. The noise gate is surprisingly decent and cuts any unwanted noise, though that makes it tough to sustain notes with distortion. The effects are okay if you are not looking for a professional sound. The amp models are decent, with the exception of the acoustic model. But then, I have yet to see a processor which can replicate the sound of a real acoustic. The effects module is pretty good, and it has some amazingly good ones like the Whammy and the harmoniser. Even the tremolo and envelope filters are good. The chorus effect dissapointed me as did the flanger and phaser. I am mainly a blues based rock player along with some progressive stuff. I can get a Hendrix type of sound and even a ZZ Toppish tone. Tones similar to the ones that The Edge produces are also possible. to The wah-wah is actually quite incredible and is certainly better than the one on the Boss GT3 (it's true)! However if you're going to expect a metal sound from this baby you'd better think twice.

I mainly play classic rock, but also dabble in funk, metal, blues and jazz. It suits my overall style except the metal part. I cannot re-create tones similar to Dimebag's or even Hetfield for that matter. I have been playing for the past 4 years now, but that's all I have. I mainly use this for my gigs and jam sessions, but I practise off my Marshall alone. I wish I had asked to see the Zoom catalog before buying this. If it were stolen I'd probably go in for a Zoom GFX3, though I am saving for a Boss GT8. I love the RP80's eas of use, though I wish it had more amp models.

It is not vey sturdy owing to the fact that it's made of plastic. I have already lost the value buttons. Also in all my gigs which are in the winter. the expression pedal loosens up considerably. I already do use it on gigs without a backup so I wouldn't know any differently.

Ok, this is perhaps the easiest processors to use availible in the market. The preset patches suck though, DigiTech has probably tried to show the diversity of this unit. But almost none of the patches are good enough to use Live. However it is very easy to make your own patches. The manual isn't really required, but isn't too badly written.